Do you think "God is dead"?

Recent discoveries in cosmology show that the universe began at the Big Bang, time matter and space came into existence at once and then the universe began expanding.

This means whatever caused this, had to be outside of time and space and the natural world, because "before" the Big Bang there was no time, space or matter.

Do you agree that the only explanation is that a spaceless, timeless, immaterial creator (by definition) began creating the universe and continues to do so as the universe expands, or do you think there's a better explanation?

Do you think science will kill God, or do you think it's just going to validate something we already know?

At this point, I don't think science can go beyond the Big Bang, so I don't think it's going to kill God even if it wanted to, since science is just the study of the natural world.

• Science killed God or will eventually kill God
  • Science wouldn't even be possible without God

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, science has already killed god a long time ago. This is why we now have the "god of the gaps" as they call it. Basically, science was able to disprove soooo much stuff that the bible and the major religions in general claim that religious people kept going crawling back to those few gaps that are still unexplained. It really feels like religious people are so obsessed with god that they try super hard to find any gap and then go like "wait! Here's something yet unexplained! Let's just say it must've been god!". I think rationally most people (even religious people) know by now that it's extremely unlikely a god has ever existed. There's just too many arguments why that doesn't make any sense. But unfortunately, most people prefer believing what feels good and not what's likely to be true, and so they cling on to faith anyway.
    See, it is true that the causes of the big bang are yet unknown. In fact, maybe they will never be known. What personally annoys me quite a bit about religious people is that they constantly want to stuff an explanation into every tiny little gap. Why can't we just agree that we simply don't know and leave it at that for now? It's not something bad to not know. In fact, it is a sign of humility if you can admit that you don't know some things. To me, personally, it gives an almost mystic feeling of being closely connected to this universe I live in. I am a very curious person but maybe it's okay I don't know everything. Human beings are far smaller and far more unimportant than any religious person would ever admit. To the universe, we're about as important as a single atom. Why then, should we know everything?
    Secondly, deducing that god must have been the ultimate creator (in this context) is a combination of two different logical fallacies. Firstly, you are committing the fallacy called "argument to ignorance". You are saying that because science couldn't prove so far that the big bang had natural causes, it must have been a supernatural. Obviously, this would be absurd in any other context. You wouldn't assume the cause of your car breaking down was a goblin-attack, even if you don't know the real cause. In fact, a natural cause is always the more likely one. The second fallacy is called "appeal from personal incredulity". It IS possible that there was simply NOTHING before the big bang, even if that doesn't make sense to contemporary science. Just because you personally can't believe that doesn't make a god any more likely.

• No matter how much evidence is given to me, I will not believe in God...

That's fine, just don't parade around like you actually have a point.

• Must be a sad life if your 33 years old and all you can do is bring forth some pathetic ad hominem insults. I already told you several times science doesn't have to disprove anything. Obviously you're too stupid to understand the phrase "burden of proof". I don't care whether the bible is right or wrong, it is YOUR job as a christian, NOT science's job to prove this stuff is true. Again one last time: Burden of proof is on YOU. YOU are believing in this nonsense, not me.

• "People who consider themselves "hard atheists" (sometimes also referred to as "gnostic atheism") would probably argue that science has in fact disproven god. I would agree with this to the degree that is has disproven the christian/jewish god of the old and new testament."

It's a shame that stupidity like yours is possible in our world. Thankfully it's rare.

And I'm 21.

What Girls Said 6

• The answer for a lot of people of A and the answer for a lot of people is B.

Personally, A slayed God for me. Plus the whole bible thing was a giant brain fart in my opinion.

• God is Alive and will Never die.. In fact, His Only Begotten and NOT Forgotten Son, Jesus (God in man form) will be returning to this earth within the next 7 years. xx

• Lol, as long as God lives, so will religion. 😜

• And as long as there is Religion and God is part of That, I know at least people acknowledge Him. xx

• Nitzsche killed God LOL

• You can't ask such a thing. It's not even possible.

• I'm a Christian, but I see the increase of disbelief due to progressive measures like abortion, homosexuals, and feminism. But I doubt our millions of strong believers will die out anytime soon.

• God is not dead cause it's never been alive to begin with.

What Guys Said 13

• well I couldn't answer if "God is dead" or not because then that would prove the God at least existed, which thus proves religion, or certain religions, whatever. I can't really form an opinion to agree with 1 or the other because none can even be proven 100% crystal clear.

• It's a quote by Nietzsche, he was trying to say belief in God was "killed" by science.

What exactly would prove God 100% crystal clear to you? And give me an example of empirical evidence.

• it'd be easy if i just research this but im in lazy mode :o

• Which one? Here, pick your choice:
    wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...eve-in1.jpg
    double click to see them.
    (that list is almost certainly incomplete because it relates only to gods whose believers could write. A minority thus.)
    ...
    [Pay attention to pick 'the right ones' in that list: o pick 'the right ones' in that list: they're all jealous. If you err you'll suffer or eternity in EACH hell of EACH of them. That makes for many sufferings.]

Or are all of them dead?

• I think our understanding of God can change, as well as our languages, for example the Arabic word for God is Allah, but atheists will say these are two gods. Science is corroborating our current understanding of a creator (the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim one). So I don't think there will be any more depictions of God as a physical entity, as there were on the past.

• I was raised to be very religious. Everyone was Catholic, but turned Christian when I was born. So you would think I would be religious, right? Hell no! I don't believe in anything I can't see, touch, taste, feel, and smell. I feel as though God was created in a time where science was also null and void and people needed something to believe in despite all the bullshit around them, and in that time period I would have liked the idea myself. But now, we have science and I believe that.

So I think science and facts killed God a long time ago, people just can't seem to let go.

• Thing is, not everything can be explained by see touch feel and smell, that's a very simple way of thinking in my opinion.

• I'm an incredibly realistic thinker, so that's my way of thinking. If you think about my way of thinking, and where I grew up especially, it might make sense. I grew up in a bad city, worst part of the city, cousins were in gangs, I was bullied, barely knew my dad and saw him twice a year (Navy reasons when I was 12, family tried telling me otherwise), and everything was terrible. Yet I was always being told its because of God why my life was so shitty. I looked at colleges, wages earned, and knew my family hasn't seen someone go to college in 3 generations. I literally said "Fuck religion" in church one day and never went back willingly. Yeah, I can believe in something that allows hatred and property ownership upon a person and group of people. Blow me.

• I don't think there was ever a God in first place

• My belief is that a creator set in motion events that lead to our creation, and stepped away. More In line with deistic views rather than theistic. However I have no proof, which leads me to my next point that directly addresses your question

No, science can never address anything outside of our universe. Things that are outside of our universe are likely not bound to our laws of physics. Science will never disprove God or any other creation theory. Science cannot observe things that are not within our plane of existance. The best thing science can do is say "God isn't necessary" even that is debatable though, because again, science cannot make claims about anything that happened before the Big Bang and never will be able to

By the same token, no God will ever be proven by science either.

• I'll rather stay with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

May His Noodly Appendages guide thee to the Pasta, the Meatballs and the Tomatosauce.
      RAmen

• You not think logically about something that you have absolutely zero information about. That's how much info we have on the pre big bang

• We can tell from deductive reasoning what the nessesary characteristics of said cause was. As well as the fact that it must have acted on its own, without a previous natural cause.

• Even with the assumption that a "creator" is required, that will NEVER prove that ANY of our current religions are "valid". God was stillborn.

• The big bang is still very much a theory and not close to being validated or proven at this point. I don't believe in the Big Bang theory personally though.

• MESSAGE ME. I AM GRAD GIRL

• It's been proven. Not only that, it's a general consensus among the scientific community. There's more evidence for the Big Bang theory than the theory of evolution. Look it up.

• I'm a scientist so I'm more than well aware of what peer reviewed journal articles are saying along with current research.

• If by the term God you mean intelligence as in Hisenburgs uncertainty principal then we are just discovering Him.

• You ask me what was before the Big Bang, I ask you what was before God.
    If a god or something similar to it ever existed, it has long since forgotten us.

• "C" I don't know and I don't Care

• None of the above, you can't kill imaginary characters ;)

• I don't think God ever existed. But I like the lyric from a great song "God is dead man has surpassed him"

• Maybe god blew himself up with the big bang, he didn't retreat after lighting the blue touch paper.