Why do people get so mad at me when I don't always want to help them out?

So my brother and his girlfriend went fishing yesterday with his friend. Well they got back to the dock and I drove out to the boat to bring a few things to them they needed. Well then I came back to the house and watch them fillet the fish they caught. Now they gave me the task of finding a place to dispose of the fish, which I did, but now here's the kicker. After that I they called me up and wanted me to go get some ice. That's when I put my foot down and they got all mad at me. I mean come on I was planning on doing some stuff this afternoon, not run errands all over the place! I did end up getting the bag of ice, but then they gave me greif about how it was so hard for me to do that. They wonder why I don't ever answer the phone. I don't get it? No matter what they complain at me. People who have siblings, is this normal?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is ok for you to decline sometimes. So my guess is that the problem was either the way you did it, or the lack of some warning in advance.

Next time try to tell asap the you intend to do (something) before the end of the (time of the day), and that you will help as long as it don't mess with your plans.
    And if by any chance you need to put your foot down even after this previous "warning" do it by being positive as in, instead of saying "no, I won't help, I told you before..." try something like "Oh.. I would like to, but I have those plans I told you remember? So I won't have the time right now"

What Girls Said 2

• You should have told them the reason why you weren't going to help them.

• It is normal to react that way since you already did the tasks they told you to do BUT their reaction was also justified because they were the ones who caught the fish and were trying to fillet it. Would you eat the fish as well, or not?

• No. I don't really like fish. Too many little bones and stuff I'm afraid i'll choke on.

What Guys Said 4

• It's going to happen anyways, just next time tell them in advance that you have to be at X by 3:00 or whenever. Their screwed if they ask me for something at 2:45 because you told them in advance so what're they gonna say.

• Seems to me, If they can't replace their lecture they gave you with some gratitude and offer something back, Then your attitude should be expected. I am no different. If they can't even simply say thank you, Then yeah, I would be reluctant to even bother.

• maybe they consider u rude?

• Do you get pushed around often? If so, they might be used to you complying with them