Why is suicide still not acceptable even if the reasons are things that can't be changed and it's guaranteed that it won't get better for that person?

I understand that society is against suicide and tries to prevent people from committing it when it's kind of just a phase and the reasons why that person wants to die are possible to fix, and it can get better for them. But what if it's 100% guaranteed that nothing will get better, their problems are not fixable, they've been depressed pretty much their whole life, never seen the light, and it can only get worse for that person? And also they don't have anyone in their life that would care if they died. Why is it still such a bad thing to commit suicide? Can't people choose themselves if they want to live or die? Sometimes it's just too much for them maybe, and they'd rather not exist than live for another second... Please explain.

Most Helpful Guy

• If all those things you say would indeed be the case, then I agree with you.

However the truth is, they never are, and things always tend to get better.

Besides if you don't value your life you could always go in the army and give it away for your country. Or work as a volunteer somewhere if the army won't have you.

• If your life is worthless to you, it doesn't mean it's worthless to everyone else, is what I'm saying.

What Guys Said 6

• that's the thing though, how can anyone know that there is a 100% guarantee that nothing will in fact get better, because as far as I know no human on earth can tell the fucking future.

• No problem is unfixable. One must not expect to cruise contol at 35mph through life, that's not how it works.

I will never condone suicide. I HAVE attempted suicide because I was an annoying teenage brat who didn't have his head on straight. I have been homeless, starving and on the verge of flinging myself from a high roof. As soon as things started working against me, I broke down. So what kept me alive? The need to survive. It is instinctual to preserve your own life and only then will you understand what you are really capable of. Do not ever speak of how hard things are, you have very little idea. Do not ever say your problems are beyond fixing, for they are not.

That said, everybody has their choice. I won't ever encourage someone to kill themselves. Why? It's obvious why. Those who insist on suicide being an option and try to justify it are Weak. That 's all.

• Okay People are not judging suicide - The thought that goes through everybody's mind is can / could we have prevented it. One person no chance could be discovered to have a ray of hope in another person's hands.

• still... isn't it a pity 2 throw yer life away?

• It isn't if that life is nothing but pain

• isn't there ANY good moment in this life? :|

• People that commit altruistic suicide are usually hailed as heroes...

• Because Suicide is illegal in the U. S. No, really look it up.

• I'm not only talking about US citizens
      And they can't be put in jail if they're dead, so.. whatever, no?

• I still wouldn't what them to commit suicide. This is only a temporary problem that can be solved. Nothing is hopeless.

What Girls Said 4

• Because its a waste of a life, of all that potential that person has, of the turmoil their family will go through, its the cowards way out basically

• Things can always get better, there is a solution for everything but when your so depressed you dont see that, they live in a vacuum of such low emotions. I think its not socially acceptable because the person in many cases do not have the capacity to make that decision wisely. As for those cases in the news of people dying of neurological diseases who want to end their life in the most dignified way, I think they should be given that choice.

• Because a person thinking of suicide is not completely mentally healthy. Therefore they cannot make a life and death decision.

• Nothing is life is guaranteed, at all. Things can change in the blink of an eye, and what you thought about something or a situation can change so suddenly. Things get worse before they get better, so at that final point when you feel like giving up, is really the point when you should give a final push.

There is always someone who cares, even if you have no family left, or think you have no friends, there is always someone, you're never truly alone as you think, although it may feel like it. Personally, I view suicide as an extremely selfish and horrible act, and the only time I would understand is if they had no home, no job, no money, no family or friends.. no hope. Yet, like I've said, there is still always a way. People should be able to choose, because at the end of the day, it is your own life, yet, you were put on this world for a reason; and it doesn't have to be a tremendous reason like finding a cure to a disease, or solving world hunger, etc, but even just to make a family, or help one person in need by giving them advice or change, etc. Everyday, we are bombarded by the negatives in life, and all the news from around the world begins to get us down, so we tend to ignore all the good - Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. We are all miracles, and why would you want to destroy such a miracle?