Is it a man's obligation to always protect and risk their lives for every woman that they see?

I've been told by men and women that it's my obligation to do so just because I'm a man and men supposedly possess "protective instincts" to protect all women that they see.

That's gotta be the most outdated and fucking retarded logic I've ever heard. I'll only protect and risk my life for a woman (or a man too for that matter) if they actually need the protection and help. There's no law telling me that illegal for me to not protect women or risk my life for them. The only men and women I'd ever protect are my family members and close friends. As for the rest, screw them (unless of they're disabled people, infants and children, then I'll try to save them).

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Didn't you get that random encounter in Red Dead Redemption (or GTA V) where the woman calls for help so you rush to her aid and some crooks ambush you?

People will exploit that good-natured selfless attitude if you're not careful. Awful to think ahout but it's true.

What Girls Said 5

• I think you have the right mindset. If a full grown women has to be saved by a man that is pathetic unless they truly need help or are children- then every man for himself... Unless its the titanic =P

• I've never heard anyone say that and I don't expect it. Obviously I'm hoping that if someone's being brutally attacked that you try to help but that's an extreme case

• Oh, I definitely hear so often, mostly from older white men in their late 30s to late 60s.

• No ofc not. Women should be equally responsible for trying to help others when necessary and the situation is safe enough to do so

• i don't think men need to do that for every woman

• For those they love, yes. Yes it is.

What Guys Said 7

• I am a natural protector. If there is a dangerous situation I am not going to sit around I take action to protect as many as I can including myself.

• I think it is more instinct than duty that makes a man act like that.

• wot if da guy's not strong enough 2 do such a thing?

• I will protect anyone even those not of my kin I don't care if I get hurt but as long as they're okay

• Yes, that's what being a gentleman is. I feel for the woman who needs help when you are the first or only one there.

• If that's what you believe, then cool but don't force it down on me just because I'm a male.

• Being a man, and doing the right thing as a man, or gentleman, when you are with a woman, has nothing to do with what she would do in the same situation. Protecting someone else is not a selfish act, but a selfless act. And what women have "forced it down on you" to do this, in particular? What experience made you so bitter about this?

• As I said earlier, it's never my obligation to be a macho man or a protector for any random woman. I blame the older men who forced this on the younger generation of males and partially on the women for enjoying their benefit of it and perpetuating them. I'm not going to follow this type of gender role because it's outdated and pointless other than an ego-boost for men. That's what I think. Based on my experienced, I get my "manhood" questioned and receive backlash from other men just because I don't have the same viewpoints on gender roles as they do so I just directly tell them to fuck off.

Say what you will (whether you'll be doing the same to me or not), this is my own belief and I live in a free country where people should learn how to tolerate people with different viewpoints not maliciously attack them for it and move on.

• I would only die for a wife or my children. If I had a wife or children.

• HELL FUCKING NO!!!