Having an opinion down-voted on GAG. What's the big deal?

I've noticed a lot of people on here get really angry when people down-vote their opinion. I'm not really sure why. As far as I know you don't lose your Xper points for being down-voted a lot and the person who asked the question can still give you Most Helpful Opinion if they want.

So what's the big deal? Do people take this site to seriously?

Most Helpful Guy

• When people voice their opinion, they honestly believe they are right and true, and so therefore it becomes insulting or degrading when someone simply disagrees and down votes them. Some people take this to the next level and become angry and further voice that. Some people are very serious about this, it takes all kinds you know!

What Guys Said 11

• Some people's whole life are a popularity contest it is not the xper point , it is the someone doesn't like me that affects them more.

• Most of the time people state an opinion then move on. And they do not get notifications from votes, so quite often they have no idea that anybody voted any way on them.

• HOLY FUCK I GOT DOWN VOTED?

*pulls out potato gun, points trigger in mouth*

It's the only way...

• People are wearing their underwears a little too tightly.

• I agree i see no big deal let them down vote me
    that means they love me is the real meaning behind it.

• I sometimes use it is as an indicator of how right or wrong my thinking is but a few times I put an opinion where I know is unpopular.

• @justbanANNAz knows all about that.

• Some people will Use just about any excuse to get angry. So you gotta wonder if you had any influence over that or were they just angry to begin with.

• I hate the voting system. For someone who likes to actually engage with those who disagree to see why it gets frustrating.

• I never really look at those, just suripse when I get a lot

• It depends on what they got down voted on. For example if you write. "Raping women is wrong" and get down voted it might upset you that people disagree with something that is important to you.

Other times I just don't get why people down vote me. If I write "I like the color blue" and get down voted I am left wondering why they hell would someone down vote the color blue?

• Because Blue Sucks, that's why! You should know that already. Cripe sakes. I think I will down vote you again!

Whee. That was fun! Want to do it again?

• At least now I have my answer. lol

What Girls Said 15

• When you answer a question and you give a factual answer, it's shocking to receive down votes. Many take it personable.

I used to when I first joined , now I don't care.

Some of the people that down vote are those who probably block u for no reason or trolls.

I only down vote when I find an answer offensive or way off from the topic.

I usually respect other people's opinions and hardly use that feature.

• It's not a big deal, but when you say something nice and encouraging and someone downvotes you you're like:

gifrific.com/.../Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

• I don't mind the downvotes when they're on comments that actually have something worth downvoting. I don't like the downvotes on simple answers like me answering a question about where I'm from. Like what's the point of downvoting that? And I hate seeing downvotes on selfie questions. Like why downvote someone's picture? That shit is annoying.

• lol i know, i find it hilarious :P

• Literally just had the opposite happen where I wanted people to stop UP-voting me. 😪

• Isn't it irritating? The constant love and adoration... please stop already people ;)

• i think its a way for other GAGers to agree/disagree with our opinions... am cool with it

• they're either not used to any form of criticism or can't understand why someone would down vote them

i mean, i get down-voted for unpopular opinions, but it's no big deal to me

• I don't care what people think of my opinions, but I would like someone be strong and disagree with me to my face. Not act like a sneaky coward. I hate sneaky cowards. I don't take this site seriously, but again, I admire strength and courage in everything

• Idk? I guess it's a small blow to the confidence meter. When you think about it the down votes they get in one answer can easily be made up with all the up votes they can accrue.

• They are sore losers.

• I cry myself to sleep nightly because of this.

• I don't even notice up or down votes. I'm with you whats the big deal.

• Some people just take things too seriously

• I don't check my upvotes or downvotes anymore tbh.

• I don't know why some people get angry when they get down votes but sometimes when I get down votes I just try and ignore the down votes but I don't like getting down voted it's kind like being on Facebook when u get likes and dislikes