Do you think Hitler thought he was doing good?

Hitler is generally considered to have been quite evil, but was actually knowingly evil, or just delusional and powerful?

Racists genuinely think those they despise have lesser interests, if you're racist it's perfectly rational to be discrimantory. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean the racist might be doing what they think is right.

(If you feel inclined to do so, before commenting on my use of it, google the origins of the word chauvinism.)

• Hitler might conceivably have been well intentioned
  • Hitler knew what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway for selfish/chauvinistic reasons
  • I don't know / See answers
Any other views on this? More female opinions would be good.

Most Helpful Guy

• He believed he could make his country great again. He had hope to change the world for the better. To him the death toll didn't matter so long as the mission was accomplished. Killing every Jew, homosexual, communist, Roma, etc. would be a nesassary sacrifice in his mind. Imagine if you thought you could make the world better, the species stronger, even step up closer to god status if you got rid of a certain type of person. If you were crazy enough you would leap at the chance to do so.
    What he did was sick, and wrong, and a prime example of the evil that plagues humanity. However, in his twisted, insane mind he thought it was all for the best.

What Girls Said 4

• He knew exactly what he was doing was pure evil and he didn't even care.

• Are you sure he didn't think it was justified?

• He was bat shit crazy nonetheless

• Well he'd need to be to think he was doing good

• He thought it was for the good, bastard. Good person. Leader. Asshole. Stupid man. I hate him so much.

• I am going to say it again.
    It is becoming a stupid trend nowadays to worship Hitler's mind.

• I'm not suggesting Hitler had a great mind... Just asking if it's conceivable that he thought his actions were justified.

• I think he had good intentions, he did it for his country (Germany was going through bad times economically). His original plan wasn't to kill jews. He attempted to ship them off to other places like Jamaica, England and even Florida. But they didn't really want them, so they tried to kill them. This still doesn't justify what he did

• Yeah, I know my country (Australia) turned a ship away, I think they ended up going back to Germany.

"This still doesn't justify what he did" Indeed, but I think interesting to consider that he wasn't necessarily intentionally 'evil'.

• I'm not sure anyone can truly answer that except for Hitler himself. But I think I agree with you

What Guys Said 12

• Hell yeah Hitler thought he was righteous
    I bet he ass was Vince McMahon powerwalking yo this guy was brushing his shoulders thinking he was all divine and shit.. nothing could kill his vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBUd3r1y3I

• Hitler hated the Jews because his mother's doctor was Jewish. He loved his mother so much that he blamed her doctor for her death. The art school he wanted to get in was run by Jews and they wouldn't let him in. He wanted to get rid of all the Jews, homosexuals, and Gypsies. I think of him as the cruelest leader that ever lived. He also blamed the Jews for Germany's loss in World War I

• It is a historical fact that Hitler was very well-intentioned. He believed in everything he was doing 100%. But, we also know that he was heavily influenced by the occult.

• So would you consider Hitler evil? I would have thought for something to be 'evil' it would have to be done with the knowledge that it was wrong.

• That's not equivalent, drunk drivers aren't misinformed, they know they are doing something which is dangerous and poses a risk to others and decide to do it anyway. They don't intend to cause harm, but they don't try to it avoid either. So that is selfish and evil.

"But, it was still evil, and he must take responsibility and be punished for it, yes?"

Are you advocating punishment for the sake of vengeance? I see it as potential deterrent to others and (if it's imprisonment for instance) a method to prevent reoffence, I don't see punishment as something good in itself.

• I am a recovering alcoholic, so I can speak on this with some knowledge. A drunk, in a blackout, can do countless things he is not at all aware of, nor ever made a "conscious" decision about. Drive a car, smash into things, hit someone, etc. etc. He isn't informed or aware of any of it at the time. It's similar to sleep walking. But if hurts someone, he can still be "evil" and wrong in his actions, and is still responsible (or should be). You may state that he knew ahead of time that these things may happen when he picked up the bottle, but then again, an alcoholic can no more prevent that, even being informed of his actions, on his own accord, than Hitler could if he in the midst of delusion. They are both very sick people. And that is why I draw similarities.

• Despite everything else Hitler pulled Germany out of a depression and turned them into a superpower, sure he got pretty bad at the end but he was doing what he thought was best for Germany

• I believe he knew what he was doing. Although I believe he was mentally ill as well. Also other Nazi leaders such as Hermann Goring and Joseph Goebbels had a lot of influence over his decisions as well

• When you say he knew what he was doing, do you mean he considered it to be as wrong as we do?

• So you don't think it's possible that he thought it was justified?

• I do believe He did it knowing it was wrong. I dont believe he thought it was justified. I believe a lot of it was influence, but he listened to the ones who influenced him so yes he is just as evil as they were.

• He probably didn't care if he is right or wrong.

• Do you think he considered his actions to be wrong though?

• I voted C lol

• Oh okay.

• I think he thought he was good, in the beginning, then started going downhill real fast.

• He believed he was doing what was best for the "Aryan Race", I suppose

• I doubt he cared.

• So do you think he didn't consider whether it was right or not?

• I mean I think he doubted how ethical his actions were from a perspective of principle, but I do believe he likely though he was acting in accordance with the greater good. I'm sure he believed his actions were justified.

• So would you consider him evil?

• The guy was mentally unstable

• Yeah he genuinely thought he was right... go figure

• I think a lot of people think they are right, it's just most don't get the chance to do so much harm.

• He knew he was doing wrong, if he wanted rid of the Jews he didn't have to kill them.

• But would he have thought it was wrong to kill them? I think we can be pretty sure he was racist, and likely didn't considered the interests of jew to be that important - just as many of us would think nothing of killing most animals for trivial reasons. (I'm not comparing jews to animals, well I am, but I'm not suggesting they're more animal like than anyone else.)

• That's a question of perspective, he thought he was doing good so to him it wasn't selfish.

• When said selfish, I meant doing something with your own interests in mind, I don't think accidentally selfish. That's just unwittingly doing something wrong which happens to benefit you, if you didn't realise that doesn't make you selfish.