What makes you guys think the Muslim women have no freedom?

This is one of the most controversial topics simply because people judge an entire religion because of a person or two.

Islam specifically points out the fact that women have (and should have) many rights. I honestly dont know where you guys got the idea that they dont have freedom. Oh, wait. I actually do.
Is it because the only muslim women you've seen or heard of live in Saudi Arabia and Iran? okay, well, I'm a muslim girl and i totally agree with the fact that there are some countries who dont give women their freedom.
Just so you know, those countries' government "created" those rules by themselves and, no, Islam does NOT say that a woman can't drive, can't walk on the streets alone without her husband, etc.

So, im just curious. Are there any other reasons that make you think so?

Please dont be rude and dont offend anyone.

• The media says so
  • I just assumed that
  • Because of a few Middle-Eastern countries
  • It's because of the muslims I know
  • Other ( See results)

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people don't know everything about the Quaran and plus you have to take into consideration how long the Hediths are my problem with Islam is not that its more about the people in the religion than just the religion its self. Its the media for sure and lack of ignorance my problem with Muslim countries is the lack of understanding those Muslim countries have themselves a lot of Muslims I know know actually very little about Islam. No Muslim country follows Sharia law which is how the government should be in Islam, the government controls everything and brain washes their people into picking and choosing what to believe in the Quaran or hadeiths. For example your not supposed to kill someone just cause they are gay which is what Muslim countries do do in the middle east and your not supposed to kill or resort to physical violence just cause someone made fun of Mohammad which is what they do. This caused a misconception to the western culture and to Muslims themselves about Islam.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think Muslim women have no freedom. I think Muslim women from certain cultures and living in certain areas have severely curtailed freedoms.

It's like how very, very conservative Evangelical sects try to control women. I don't think God wants women to focus only on their families on have as many children as possible, but the Quiverfulls sure do. You just have to be vocal and stand up for your right to representation so the people that are wrong can't hide.

What Guys Said 15

• When it comes to religions (all of them), one can only criticize the dogma itself. It is not because of the media, or the women in Saudi Arabia or Iran or anywhere else. Islam prohibits women from being in power (or ruling over men), allows the male to marry more than one and doesn't allow the female to do the same, the testimony of two women is equivalent to that of one man, men could divorce over the phone while their wives cannot, and many other things...

Now, even if 98% of Muslims didn't actually follow these rules in their daily lives, it won't change anything. The dogma remains the same and your interpretation of it is completely irrelevant. This applies to all religions or set of principles, of course. The other day, I was watching a lesbian Muslim on TV talking about how Islam actually tolerates homosexuality and how she is living proof to that... neglecting the fact that Islam (the dogma) strictly and blatantly opposes homosexuality and promises the most monstrous punishment for homosexuals. What Muslims think of Islam and how they behave are not things I factor in when I am evaluating Islam (or anything else, for that matter).

Voted E. : )

• Some are misleaded and misinformed about Islam, others just hate Islam and Muslims so they know deep inside that muslim women have freedom, but actually they don't care about that because they just want to hate.

This question inspired me to right a MyTake about this topic.

• As you say I believe most people think this because it's what the media tells the world that's what it's like.
    We see it in the news, TV and films so it's what we believe.
    I come from a very mixed cultured part of the UK and I don't think I have ever seen the Muslim community behave like that from the families I have seen in and know.
    They're free to do as they like.

• I don't make that assumptions - A lot of muslim women I know are quite content with their religion

• It's a mix of all. In some Muslim countries they can't drive, can't walk alone, or even get an education.
    Example: Malala almost got killed cause she fought for more rights, but a group of radicals tried to kill her. I mean, when you see a 17 y/o kid being shot in the head cause she wanted an education, you start to wonder what do those people think of women.

• Okay, so, it's the people, Not the religion.

• Perhaps you're right. But what do you tell me about Iran? You can clearly see how the Islamic Revolution destroyed all women's liberty.

• They're exaggerating about the concept of Islam. I don't really know what rules they have or what women aren't allowed to do but it's all too much.

• I use to think that way in my school kid days. But once I probably got to high school it hit me that what I thought was wrong. I usually equate that idea of Muslim women freedom to certain countries and not the actual religion. Sorry if I offend anyone because that is never my intention.

• not muslim in general but i personally think that men in some muslim countries are still opressing women.

• Voted C). If they were actually free, there wouldn't be movements like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Stealthy_Freedom

• I say it's mainly because of the media
    The media here seems to have the people on strings.. or chains

• Because I never see a picture of a Muslim woman sitting by a pool in a bikini drinking a Margherita smoking a cigarette and being hit on by non-Muslim guys.

• Umm there's a reason for that. I have a Muslim friends and when we go to the beach they wear surfer style swimsuits to cover their entire body. I ask why and they say it's for modesty. Also, drinking and smoking is prohibited in therlir religion.

• Hmm that's interesting... And as for the bikini, they all choose to wear full clothing. I guess you notice those who wear full clothing more than those who dont on the beach because those wearing a full suit will probably stand out more

• Well, yes. They are Muslims who don't care and wear a bikini while others who dont.
      @Icyfire101

• Who say Muslim women have no freedom? Yes their are freedom in my country. But I don't know how Muslim women in other country. How is your's? Do you get freedom?

• I've heard many non-muslim people who don't live in Asia think that we have no right. By what you've read in my question, I obviously disagree because I, myself, am a Muslim and I'm Lebanese. Women in my country have as much freedom as any other man. So, this question was addressed to the people who don't agree with this.

• All the muslim women that we see talking about how little freedom they have

• My studies indicate muslim women have about as much rights as my pet gecko.

• 0|0
    • Wtf... those are sick people. You can't simply believe that ALL Muslim people do such things because of those bastards who believe they are "true muslims".
      I admit that there are Muslim people who kill others if they're not Muslim or do other sick stuff but, what I want people too know is that this isn't how Islam should be practiced. And the things Muslim people did in that article are considered to be sins in Islam. And we'll, they will be punished by God.
      That's what I want you to know.

• Our religion specifically says, even in the Quran that muslims must not kill or hurt any other person (whether he wasn't a Muslim or even an atheist) unless it was self-defence. So, i'm just sorry cuz those Muslim people you've seen or heard of are ruining the idea of Islam.

• and yet, it's happening more and more.

• Are those "few" middle eastern countries where the majority of muslims live?

• Yes, but thing is, the people living there don't have a choice but to obey the law. Or else, go to prison.

• Oppressive rules*

• I not blaming islam for the barbaric laws in the middle east, the question the @asker had was What makes you guys think the Muslim women have no freedom? I would say that the majority of muslim women in the muslim world do not enjoy the same freedoms as women in the west ie Europe , usa etcand thats what makes us think muslin women have no freedom.

What Girls Said 7

• It is not the religion that bogs and oppresses women. It is the cultures that practice that religion. Honor killings, throwing acid on the face of the beautiful wife so that no other man can look at her, covering them from head to toe, not allowing to drive, leave the house alone, or vote that is the problem. chlorella never condone any of these things rather than clergies created these barbaric laws

• For your information the women in Iran still by far more rights than any other woman in the Middle East.

• When I was a child I did think all Muslim women were repressed. I thought they were all forced to cover their bodies and that most Muslim men abused their wives.

Thank goodness for growing up!

I think I felt like that because 1) I was a gullible child. But also, that was all I had ever heard. And even though my mother didn't perpetuate these stereotypes, she didn't sit us down to dispel the lies.

I voted A. But it was a little more complicated than that.

• That's good to know! :D what made you change your view on this?

• I grew up. I saw that things aren't black and white. And people who practice a religion are much more complex than they are sometimes portrayed. Also, I watched videos and read articles created by Muslim women that explained they made choices regarding their body and their lives and other videos in which women married to Muslim men were treated kindly. I was never a bad kid who held hate, just a gullible confused child. So, it took growing up and accepting what these women had to say instead of keeping to my rigid mind set.

• Good :) thanks for sharing!

• Their definition of freedom involves being judged by how they look instead of who they are, getting drunk, getting high, and having sex with random people. they do not understand why some cultures have value systems different from that.

• Just read this post on muslim women that was embedded in the recent mytake - "The GAG community feels less and less like a community and just "a bunch of GAGers", and here's why"

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1157454-why-don-t-islamic-women-realize-they-are-being-oppressed-stripped-of

• I'm not reading that. It's too much bullshit in one post.

• So you don't want to read anything you disagree with... not even bother reading the MHO? How typical.

• You people don't understand the fact that it's not like that in Islam. And that you don't know how a normal Muslim woman lives her life. And I'm not talking about those in Saudi Arabia who even cover their faces.
      Just go to Lebanon, Dubai, Tunis, etc, and see how Muslim women live. Gah. You people are unbelievable.
      I come from lebanon which is 50% Muslim and 50% christian, where both muslims and Christians live peacefully and normally together. There are no rules for Islam (like those in other countries) and no rules for Christians.
      That's how a woman is treated. You shouldn't just listen to what u see on tv.

• The media has a very high tendency to change people's views on a subject. The media also highlights the downsides about a subject rather than the beneficial side. Thanks for enlightening me!

• It is quite true in the middle east, no? Media coverage and actual women speaking their stories is evidence, there is actual war over there. However in developed countries such as America and Australia, they do have more rights.
    One of my associates at Uni is from Pakistan and she can learn and have a balanced life.

• Only 2 countries in the middle east treat their women unfairly. It's not like that in the other countries.

• Because m boyfriend is a Muslim. His family are strict Muslims. I have worked hard on him to compromise.
    I am not allowed to go to male/female gyms. Only female. I am not allowed to wear certain clothes. I have to ask him if I want to do something. He doesn't want me to work, but he is letting me provided he picks the job. Once he says something, that's it.
    I am not to go to certain places without him. He is the more practical one in his family. I won't even begin to tell you what the other men in his family are like.

• Have you read the Quran and what it says about women?

• I too know lots of Muslim couples like your parents. BUT I know many more Muslim couples like my boyfriend's family. @MarianneAustine I am with him because I love him, and he is open to change. I am teaching him why it is wrong for him to have views like her does, and he is gradually learning.

• Aisha complained to Mohummad herself that "You have made us equal to the dogs and the asses,". This is in the Hadith. Perhaps the Quran doesn't say much about women and their worth, but the Hadith is ridiculously full of it.