Opinions on studying English (the subject) until year 12?

We learn how to write a structured essay, report and story in year 7/8. Why do we need to continur English as a subject into year 12? All we do is analyse movies and poems and learn language techniques. You should be able to choose a subject other than English in at least year 12 if you are not going to go into a career like journalism, reporting or teaching. Anyway, thats my opinion. What's yours?

Most Helpful Guy

• I chose English in Post 16, having been an A* student in GCSE who really enjoyed the subject. It was the most boring experience I've ever had in school, and I promptly dropped it after the first year with an uninspiring C grade.

What Guys Said 3

• I disagree with you on this. I think it's very important to continue to learn the nuances of your native language, and to study the great literature that's been written in that language. All you have to do is look at the level of English usage and writing on GAG to know how important language skills are. Whatever you do in life, being able to communicate clearly and coherently in your native language is very important.

• i believe English r essential so yeah... they r more needed than math, chem, phys, etc

• English is useful for everything, not just a career in those listed. Just look at some people's typing on here lol

What Girls Said 3

• I think that developing your English is always going to be helpful for you and it might not seem like it but it is a pretty interesting subject (at least for me). I'd keep it as part of the standard curriculum but, like most English schools, I'd offer options to go alongside it at year 9.

• The things you learn in Year 7/8 is quite basic, so learning more would help you develop your vocabulary and your speaking and writing.

• Actually literature teaches us morality and humanitarian things so it is essential for us to learn it till a specific age and if we stop studying it because it is just a language then we may loose command on it too.