Why do feet stink?

Do feet stink because your barefoot too much or because you use shoes without socks or use shoes too much?

12

Most Helpful Girl

• The components of sweat breaking down. That's why it doesn't stink when it first comes out. It has to break down a little, then you smell it.

So, your feet stink because they are sweating and it's a moist nasty playground for fungi and bacteria.

Try sandals and sneakers with mesh.

What Girls Said 11

• Sweat and dead skin. Also a lot of people have fungus on their feet making them smell bad, but that's not why most feet smell.

Feet sweat a lot and the sweat gets trapped in hot shoes and socks and then goes stale and smelly. My feet do not like being in shoes, they hate it. I'm much happier in bare feet, and although they may look dirtier from walking around like that they don't smell as the sweat is not left on them or in socks wrapped around them all day.

• Feet stink 'cause you don't wash them enough or sweat too much in socks and shoes. Wash 'em regularly and you should be fine. Unless you have some infection or something...

• If it's your feet that smell, you need to allow them to breathe. The stink is caused by bacteria that like eat your sweat or something and get trapped. Wearing socks (and good shoes) allows breathability and air flow.

• sweat, fungal infection (atlete'sfoot) and bacteria that feeds on the sweat which lets off that odor.

• Use shoes without socks, and sometimes people's feet stink no matter what.

Fungi infection?

• Sweat. Plus they don't get a chance to dry out and breathe, unless you're wearing open toed shoes. It's a recipe for stank.

• Feet smell because of the bacteria that appear in the hot and humid environment of your feet when you wear socks and shoes. If you're barefoot then you're airing them out and they're not all hot and sweaty so they don't still.

• There are more sweat glands in the feet than anywhere else.
    Same reason why our armpits stink.

• When your feet start to sweat it makes a perfect place for bacteria and bacteria let off natural organic acids that tend to smell. The best way to prevent that is to have dry feet.

• I'm barefoot a lot and my feet don't really stink. I also shower/bathe daily. I imagine those that wear socks and shoes all day might have more of an odor, since sweat gets trapped in there.

• Cause they're stuck in shoes all day with no air