Why do black people hate black police officers?

I've told my parents and friends that when I graduate high school, I want to become a police officer. My dad yelled at me. He was like, "why the hell you want to be a cop for! Do you not see all the bullsh*t that's happening to our people?" My mother just shook her head at me and a bunch of my friends were like, "nah I can't fw you if you become a pig." I can't help it! I've ALWAYS wanted to be a police officer since the 4th grade!!

Most Helpful Guy

• In general almost every single cop is an asshole. I think they have way too much power and can legally harass law abiding people until they are forced to leave town with no fear of repercussion. This power turns them really corrupt. If someone doesn't want to give up their constitutional rights they will get arrested and held in jail for several days just to teach the person a lesson about what happens when you don't kiss a cops ass.

Cops are generally people that went into the profession because they craved power over others, as well as ex soldiers that are so mentally screwed up from combat they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a position of authority. Cops deal with criminals everyday. Cops also deal with other asshole cops everyday. Starting out with assholes, and being surround by assholes everyday further forge them into worse people. I totally get why people don't like cops.

As far as why blacks specifically don't like cops that is simple. Many black people have learned to associate cops with the oppression of black people. If there were actually more black cops in black neighborhoods it would actually cut down on a lot of the racial tension. The only difference is that instead of white cops abusing them, they would have black cops abusing them, because as I already mentioned cops are currently giving too much power. Cops act that way to both races, but because there are fewer black cops, and there are more blacks living in high crime areas this brings white cops into conflict with black citizens most of the time. This is why blacks think cops exist just to hurt blacks.

What we really need are several things. A more racially diverse police force. Not letting mentally ill ex soldiers trained for violence become cops. Make it illegal for cops to harass its citizens they way they currently can to the point they have to leave town, not being able to arrest people just because they refuse to give up their constitutional rights. Until these things happen, I can see why your family would be upset with your decision, however technically your becoming a cop, would be part of the solution. It won't however change how they view cops overnight.

What Guys Said 14

• For whatever it's worth if my daughter or child wanted to become a cop I wouldn't jump for joy, but I would support them since its their dream. If my parents weren't so supportive of my dreams I still wouldn't let it hold me back. If that is what your passionate about I implore you to do it. In my mind blacks cop were generally tougher on blacks and that's why I believe we have such a strong distaste for them. Maybe they take the environment and stereotypes they've dealt with and group up in and assume every other black is a part of that and that's why they behave in such a manner. I'm not sure, but one thing I do know is that not all COPS, regardless of race, are bad. It's just the history and current news of the relationship between blacks and cops aren't exactly positive and so it makes things even worst when a black person wants to be apart of the so called "enemy". I fight such thoughts and feelings personally, but would still never tell anyone that they can't or shouldn't go for their dreams because everyone deserves that opportunity. Sorry about the book I just wrote but hope this helps.

• Prop's for wanting to become a police officer. They are what keep the U. S. together. Don't let others decide for you what is right, your family and friends are complete idiots. Anyway, we need more 'minorities' to become police officers. That way they can inspire others in there ethnic groups and get rid of the whole 'all cops a racist' falsehood.

• It's not that we hate black cops it's just cops seem to have declared open season on blacks for the longest

• I say follow your dreams and be what ever you want
    my late maternal grand-dad was Deputy sheriff and
    he was white and he was friends with all race of Deputy
    Sheriffs he worked with there was never no problem

• Because you know, the police is pure evil and the world would be a far better place without the police and shite like that.
    (/sarcasm)

• It is your choice to do what you want

• "Why do black people hate black police officers?"

do we now? i had no idea i hated them. Thanks for letting me know!

• Ha-ha, you know I didn't mean all of them. Just in general.

• Because you will be at the very front of the bigger issue in the country. Do what you would like, but It won't be pretty, especially with the way things are going right now

• You're seen as the enemy. That's how this us vs them issue is being perpetuated.

• Fuck them be what you want

• "Our people," like color should change so much about a person.

• Because some black people think they are joining white people on hating blacks people. They think they aren't truly black. There are definitely some racist black people like that

• Cause they're jealous

• Because that's like joining the same side as the enemy.
    Also, if you want to become a police officer you'd better prepare for the heavy amount of prejudice you will face from your colleagues

What Girls Said 1

• Them being a cop probably has more to do with that. A lot of black people just don't respect authority.