I need a job, how do I go about telling the manager I have bad social anxiety?

This is embarassing as I am 33 years old. I finally got a job at this store however it's customer service. I thought I could do it but the first day of training I had bad anxiety. Also tranining on the cashier is very complex. It wasn't as simple as learning how to use the register like it was at Macy's. I was so overwhelmed yesterday that I left and said I'll be back tomorrow to complete the training which the manager was ok with. How do I explain that training on the register is just too complex? Is there a way that I can let the manager know I rather do stock than cashier? I feel so bad.

Most Helpful Girl

• In a situation like this it's best to be honest. That way he may be able to work with to adjust your job role , so you aren't placed in a situation where you get high levels of anxiety. The only way to overcome social anxiety is to face your fears.
    Mabybe your manger will help you do this. He may not be empathetic , but you need to tell him to give yourself a chance to progress. If you don't explain the way you are he may start to view you as incompetent, which you obviously are NOT Good Luck!

What Guys Said 4

• If you tell him training at a register is too complex, he'll probably fire you. Tell him that you've done stocks before and you're a lot more comfortable doing something you're good at.

• Evaluate your options of what other job are available (and good for you) and which you can do from them.
    And to that best option you have to STICK to it. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
    Do not forget to take breaks every day to clear your mind on the bigger picture.

• Tell him your skills are better for non-customer relations?

• If the manager is a male, just be straight forward and discuss it with him.

• The manager is a female.

What Girls Said 4

• Explain to him the issues with your anxiety. Then as knife there's any way to be switched to the stockroom. He'll probably still train you for the register because retail stores like to have everyone trained so when it gets busy they can pull from other areas.

• You need to learn how to overcome it and do the job. You just got hired don't think these people are willing to be so accommodating to a newbie. They hired you for that portion Bc that's what they must have needed. Don't ask Bc you might jeopardize your new job. I say just try to learn.

• I would play on your anxiety rather than the register being too complex. Get a drs note to support what you're saying. Hope for the best, but if there is not need for a stock worker, then you may not get a job. Good luck.

• dont mention the anxiety they will judge u for it... a lot of people dont understand.. just say that u feel like u willbe more useful out back and u couldnt get the hang of the till please answer mine