Does or can the level of intelligence decrease?

I think I'm getting dumber as year passes by..

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel the same way. Probably because my brain isn't stimulated on a daily basis like it was when I was in school.

Most Helpful Guy

• If by the level of intelligence you mean iq no. But from the age of 30 and older the brain nerve cells reduce and this makes us remember less but we don't become dumber.
    Note:our brain has 100 billion nerve cells.

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 13

• Wait till you are my age my friend.

• Intelligence is controversial.
    But what I know through practice and experience you can promote your mind (like a muscle), Learning more information + practicing them + trying new ways of thinking will increase what people call as "smartness".

• Yes, if you stop learning and working on improving yourself.

• You are just getting smarter and now realize how little you actually know. In the past you were so naive that you didn't realize how it even though you felt sure of yourself.

• Yes. It is also related to your susceptibility to Alzheimer's disease. The more initial mental functioning, the lower your Alzheimer's risk

• Sure the brain does atrophy. If ypu don't use it you lose it

• Use it or lose it.

This applies to anything, including your brain.

• Especially with all the stupidity in todays time. Even work places will do that

• it can. if you keep watching tv, drink and have sex like a maniac.

• Yes. Intelligence can decrease.

• Especially by being on here. I think I've lost a couple of IQ points from being on here

• Weed dumbs you down, that's why they call it dope.

• Yes, IQ can be stimulated and increased by use and visa versa. Also there are many kinds of illnesses causing reduction in IQ, and of course malnutrition is a cause for IQ reduction as well.