Why does everybody think that people from Europe have 0% modesty?

A lot of people on the web believe things like: "Oh durr... every girl in Europe goes topless and public while wearing a thong bikini and guys wear speedos... dur dur durrr!!!" But I have talked with people on Europe , and they said that things that people say about Europe aren't true, and that they've never seen a guy wear a speedo, and that ladies wearing one-piece swimsuits is common. And on top of that, I've had my friend who is currently on vacation in Europe , take a video of a European beach, and 99% of the males there were wearing swim shorts and the only ones wearing speedos were frumpy old men or little boys. And not a single female there was wearing a thong bikini. NOT A ONE.

So why do people believe all this crap? (But to be honest, a lot of European people swim naked, which for some reason, I don't have any qualms about.)

Most Helpful Guy

• well its obviously not true. some people just buy into stereotypes a bit too much.

• People buy into stereotypes? You don't say? (P. S. Thanks for your opinion.)

• np :P I've seen much better Asian drivers than others hahaa

What Girls Said 9

• It's just stupid stereotypes. Stereotypes aren't always true, more often than not they're actually false. I don't know who comes up with that shit. Maybe it's just people's fantasies about Europe . Of course, in some parts of Europe it probably is like that, but definitely not everywhere. Where I live, people definitely have modesty.

• Ha ha thank you for your opinion. Stereotypes are the bane of my existence.

• I genuinely have no idea where these stereotypes came from, because they're definitely not based on reality.

The only thing I can think of is that American culture tends to be kinda uppity about sex and anything related to sex, so they projected their own mindsets on Europe ergo "we're uppity about sex, therefore everyone who isn't American is the complete opposite".

A shining example of this projection shit is the Cold War. Since communists were all about atheism, USA went off and did the exact opposite with religious propaganda and added "under God" to the pledge of allegiance in 1954.

It's a sort of "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality.

• They may have said that while partying in ibiza

• i dont think like this..

• Thats because they talk about Europe as a country.

• We just like the freedom. We're different than americans.

• The commercials

• Did your friend travel all over Europe? Because that's not accurate. There are places in Europe where people have a tendency to be modest. But let's not forget that there are places where people are more... umm open.
    So it depends on which country you visit.

• He did indeed travel all over Europe .

• "a lot of european people swim naked" -- this is actually not true either.
    You have beaches where you can be naked, but most people prefer to wear a swimsuit in public...

What Guys Said 11

• Well, I happen to be European myself (continental European, as I like to point out, Britain is becoming more and more American). Personally I believe that in almost all stereotypes there is at least a grain of truth. Of course they are still stereotypes but that doesn't mean they're complete bullshit.
    For example the speedo-thing: I know a couple of guys who wear speedos. My dad wears one and he is not an ugly old man. He's still kinda young and very well in shape. It is true that young guys (our generation) prefer to wear shorts to swim but then again, I also have a friend who wears speedos. Even I myself sometimes wear something similar. It's not a speedo but it's like a very tight and short version of normal swimming shorts. The reason is quite simple: In my home country Switzerland, swimming is very popular (both in lakes/rivers and public baths), not just as a recreational activity but also as a workout (it's one of the healthiest sports you can do). If you just want to hang out in a swimming pool with friends, swimming shorts are fine. But if you actually want to swim... like, you want to swim 2-3 Kilometers which is my normal workout, shorts become extremely annoying after a few minutes. They drag and slow you down. Also, I really, really don't get what's so terrible about speedos. I think Europeans who claim there are no guys in Europe wearing speedos are just scared to be called "gay" by their American friends. I personally think this whole idea of American guys that speedos are "gay" is absolutely ridiculous. A lot of American guys have an extremely strange obsession and disgust with/for gayness and homosexual behavior. Most Europeans don't even come on the idea that speedos could be "gay", they simply think of them as a different kind of swim suit.
    As for girls: When I go to lake these days, I do see some girls with thongs and I also see a few with whole-body swim suits but most of them wear normal bikinis. Again, some Americans can be super prudish about this issue. There's nothing wrong with thongs and if you ever ask Europeans (especially central/north Europeans) they will tell you that it's just fine. We don't consider girls showing a lot of skin "sluts". We're just more easy going with nudity.
    Finally, it also depends on where you go. Central and northern Europe tends to be more easy going with nudity. FKK (nude beaches) are very popular in Germany. Contrary to many Americans, we don't always think of sex just because somebody is naked.

• Yeah, if you wear a speedo in the U. S., then you're instantly considered gay. :P And I don't immediately think sex when I see nudity. Plus, every guy in the U. S. has an extremely high and outrageous fetish with girls wearing thongs. It's so vile... and I dunno about you, but I despise thongs...

• Well, this gay-thing is just something very strange to me. I like American mentality but this is something I will never get. It feels like a lot of heterosexual American men feel the need to constantly prove to everyone that they are not gay in the very, very least. It's considered a huge insult to be considered gay and many American guys seem to believe that being gay makes you become less of a "real man". To most European guys, this can come across as sort of a very annoying macho-attitude ("look at me, I'm 1,000% straight, so I'm as manly as one can be!"). This is also strange because tolerance towards homosexuality is quite high in the US nowadays. In continental Europe , we just don't think so much about this kind of things. When I lived in South Korea and travelled to Japan, I saw many guys who looked extremely feminine in my opinion - yet, to them, it has nothing to do with gayness. It's just their style. Oh... and why do you not like thongs? What's wrong with thongs?

• I think they're kinda raunchy.

• i've seen maaaaaany conservative euros bro ;)

• Conservatives outnumber liberals on this planet 1,000,000/1 :P

• I feel like Americans tend to see Europe as one big country, even though it's a collection of countries of which each has a completely different culture and mentality. What is normal in Germany might be completely absurd in France or Italy and vice versa.
    I'm not sure where they got those stereotypes, but I suppose they mainly arose from a place of ignorance.

• Just misconceptions - Every part of the world has to deal with their fair share.

• Because an aweful lot of Americans, assume you must be at the other extreme if you're not lock-step with their extreme.

• Thats bullshit.. People likes to spew shit to certain places they haven't even been to.

• Stereotypes are fun.

• Really depends on what part of Europe . Some places are more open than others.

• huh... I assume it's all marketing.

• Europe is very diverse so it depends on the region. There *are* places in Europe where almost most men wear speedos and women bikinis. Also, within the same European country you can find places where people are dressed more modestly and "party islands" where people wear very little.

• For the same reason you think people from other countries are a certain way. It has to do with a combination of ignorance and stereotypes. Everyone suffers from this problem at least to some degree. I am certain you have opinions about people from other countries and they are likely just as flawed as what you are complaining about. We all stereotype people from other places at least a little even if we don't realize we are doing it.