Since the Bible was written by men but "inspired" by God, how is that any different than a book written by any other Christian?

We know God literally didn't write the Bible, and it's referred to as "God Breathed".. how is that really different than the book "Purpose Driven Life" by Pastor Rick Warren? I'm sure he was inspired by God as well to write the book.

That being said, wouldn't we take what was written simply as "good/sound" advice and how we should live... instead of literall instructions that we MUST follow? (For example, the authors of the Bible warn about sex before marriage... so back then, it would make sense NOT to do it because they didn't have birth control or antibiotics to cure STD's. Today however, sex before marriage doesn't always produce horrible consequences... so perhaps it's okay to ignore that old advice?)

Aside from the reocurring message of the Bible to love and serve others and that people are imperfect and in need of a savior... there are a lot of things written that people assume God said those things directly instead of realizing that it's simply advice given by the writers of each of the various books, that were relevant for the culture and time period. I can appreicate the main message of the Bible will always be relevant regardless of what century we live in, but the other teachings seem like they'd be subject to change as our culture changes.
We know that God gave Moses the 10 commandments... so we can assume that God really did say those things directly... but other "do's and don't" in the Bible weren't said directly by God or Jesus... and rather by the writers of the book.

So what would make the Bible more important to teach from than any other "good advice-giving" book written by Christians? (aside from the historacle aspect).

This is all of course, for those who are Christians. If not, then assume hypothetically for purposes of answering my question.

No trolls please. Adult/mature answers only please. Agree or disagree in a constructive manner please!

0|0
2|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Books written by Christians after the Bible are always assumed to be individual takes and the Bible is held as the original words of God or something like that bla bla bla

I'm one of those religious people that doesn't care anymore about religion.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• Not entirely correct. God spoke directly to Moses from the Exodus to his death. There is scripture that any time Moses was in the temple a cloud would settle on the temple

0|0
    0|0
  • Your question contains a logical fallacy. The Bible was not written by one author, but about 50. And the Old Testament (your reference to Moses) isn't Christian.

0|0
    0|0
  • Good point.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Well the bible is presumably the word of God - it is symbolic or contextual meaning you either have to understand the symbols or you have to understand the context.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because God told those writers what to write.

0|0
    0|0