What race are hispanices? I heard most of them are white?

Isn't the term hispanic really a meaningless identity. It's like if americans were all classified under the same race. Aren't real hispanics Spanish people? Aren't the Spanish people white europeans.
I know that most of the population of mexico is mestizo (half white half native.) But people in argintina, uraguay, and souther brazil are while. Meanwhile most carreabeans are mulatto (half black half white.)
The census also says that half of hispanices in the us are white, is this true.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of them are mestizo.

• Doesn't that depend on which nation they come from?

• It varies. But they are mostly mixed with white and mestizo.

• Oh okay.

What Girls Said 3

• native Americans are Asian and they are mixed with Spanish so they are mongoloid/Caucasian.
    Plenty of Hispanics are just fully Native American though.

• This has always puzzled me. I don't consider myself white by any means. by the way, I'm Hispanic.

• In my home country we view what you call Hispanics as white.

What Guys Said 4

• I get your point but it probably only matters to the people in the area - It is like the "irish" accent to outside people it is the one thing but to me it is about 50 different accents.

• I thought it was:
    Hispanic = People who have Spanish heritage
    Latino = People of Latin heritage (Spain and Portugal)

I don't know though I'm just here to learn I guess

• No. The only actual white Hispanics are those from Spain and Andorra. Every one else is Latino (mixed of African, indigenous, and TRACE amounts of white).

• Hispanic is NOT white.

Most hispanics are latino/mestizo