Opinions on homeschooling?

I just can't imagine how any parent would want to isolate their child and take away an entire life experience from them...

Most Helpful Girl

• I am home schooled... with my home school program... All my work is online.. and we ave to interact it people... i mean they ask us too volunteer and do huge learning courses with thousands of people... with each class there is like 40 plus people yu can contact and i only started a few years ago... and i have made a lifetime friend... and i know who my true friends are cause all my other friends abandoned me... with my homes school I have learned a more life lesson with this school then my old school... In normal school its all drama and popularity... with my school i get too meet genuine people... I am probably more social now then at my own school because I used to be picked on and was scared to be wrong... but now i dont have too worry about bullies or not being seen for me... My school gives you the work and either its done or you get a zero... so a person as too learn a schedule and independence... My school even has clubs and a graduation and well we are fixing us a prom this year... so yeah ITS NOT LESS SOCIAL AND ALL WE ARE MISSING IS THE DRAMA, BULLIES, AND THE POPULARITY CONTEST... @inlovewithyou2014

What Guys Said 9

• I personally am against homeschooling. I feel people need to be getting out in the world and learning. Learning how to communicate with others and in society in general. I mean you can't hide away in your house all your life and I feel learning this as a child is best.

• My dad works for a homeschooling curriculum company, and he says that the kids often get together and do things with other homeschooled kids, multiple times a week. So they probably get really close to those people.
    And, studies say that homeschooled kids aren't really socially inept. They have sports and clubs too.

• When I have kids, they will be home schooled. Who wants their kids spending time with kids who want nothing but to create problems, are nasty and come from nasty minded people. I would want my kid to focus on education and not being bullied or manipulated by simple ignorance.

• My opinion i don't think homeschooling is that
    cut out to be what it's suppose to be i think
    there's more to meet the eye.. from the young
    people i knew getting home schooled they are
    laid back very reserved and don't seem to
    communicate much with people.

• It's more practical, less bullshit would be taught and the kid could graduate a lot earlier than his peers. That is assuming the kid doesn't have ADHD and the parents are intelligent enough to teach their kids.

While I can't speak about Canada's public education system (I'm sure it's better than here), the US public education system is horribly flawed.

• I think kids need to interact as well.

• My sister is home schooled. she is 12 years old. She will be going to high school though. To me I think she should go to school and interact with others, but she also dodges bullying too

• It's great if you're smart enough to do it.

• In my experience home schooled kids usually end up socially awkward, friendless, virgins.

What Girls Said 7

• They're not always isolated. Some go to homeschool centers during the day and some and for ones that stay home they have functions like field trips an clubs for other homeschooled kids to go to. Also they say you should try to get them into a lot of out of school activities.
    In cases where kids are bullied or ostracized it's not the best. Also if you guys travel slot then it's helpful to bring school with your yet than have to miss days.
    I do think everyone should try highschool because it teaches you a lot about people and life but I understand highschool isn't for everyone. Knew a girl who was fine with making friends and being social, but he found sitting at a desk for 8 hours boring and dumb. So she went virtual and started going places with her family or by herself. It was really cool

• Coming from a mother who did homeschool.. my kids were involved in a lot of different activities. We belonged to a homeschool group. The public schools where we lived weren't good at all. Both of my kids are grown now... both have college degrees and they graduated with highest honors. People who don't know anything about homeschooling shouldn't just assume because you homeschool you are some religious fanatic. There are some who are though. Just like there are crazy parents that send their kids to public school. I believe it should be left up to the parents if they choose to homeschool. And as for as life experience... if you mean bullying, violence, and drugs... then a parent has the right to keep their kids out of that.

• Same. I think you learn a lot from being around people your own age, and how else are you going to ever make friends?
    Parents do it to teach children the kids the way they want, but they can do that when they get home from schhool

• I'm
    Homeschooled, and I love it, and @sourangel is homeschooled too.

• I think it's perfectly fine for parents to
    Homeschool, however when the kids reach a certain age I think they should ask if they want to continue being homeschooled or go to a public and/or private school instead.

• when I was younger when I was 10 I used to go to a elementary that only went to fith grade after I graduated fith grade I looked around at middle schools but I wasn't able to find a school so I was homeschooled and I liked being homeschooled and I choose to wanna be homeschooled because I didn't wanna deal with drama and bulling and I liked being homeschooled because I didn't have to be apart of a loud noisy class room and that's why I liked being homeschooled

• If you're capable it's perfectly fine. Besides, there are other ways besides school for socializing children.