Why do Indians and Pakistanis dislike each other?

I've seen it a lot, many Indians and Pakistanis don't like each other at all and they fight about certain things to do with each other's country. I would like to know why? What's the history behind it?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 15

• Hello Shayvenessa,

#1. Not all of us hate the other part but most of us do. And see? We don't even know why do we hate them. "We are taught to hate them". Media played a role too.
    #2. A common thing between neighbouring countries.
    #3. India was under British raj (rule) who were very strategic. So when they left, they made the future and the situation of India unstable. They divided the country into three parts (India, Pakistan and East Pakistan).
    #4. At this time there was a large number of Muslim Indians in the North East of India or Punjab. So this caused many fights between the Indian Hindu's and Indian Muslim's. So they agreed in making a new country Pakistan "land of pure", by the religious separatists.
    #5. There's also an ethnic reason as generally Pakistani people are fair while Indians are darker. In ancient times, Aryans conquered the Sind area. The Indians are Dravadians which were ruled by Aryans. So (some) Pakistani people consider themselves as prettier and more powerful or dominating race.
    #6. Those who are left in India are called as Muhajir (a lable of traitor). Or sunni Muslims (like Germany as compared to rest Europe)
    #7. India is a secular country dominated by Hindus and Pakistan is an Islamic country.
    #8. Muslims used to rule Indian Capital Delhi under the 'Delhi Sultanate' and then under the 'Mughal Empire' for 600 years (1207 -1830) but then taken away by British and after independence India became a democratic country leaving no hope for Muslims to rule India again as they are in minority.
    #9. In that separation, around 14 million people migrated causing human rights violations. ~1 million people died in violence, over 70K women abducted, raped, mutilated.
    #10. "The main reason" Britishers set the territory but they left the Kashmir undecided. The Kashmir king was Sikh so it remained a part of India even if it had Muslim majority. Three wars were fought over it.
    #11. India also liberated East Pakistan into Bangladesh.
    #12. From then, so many terrorist attacks are planned and done in both countries to make other part weak.
    #13. Pakistan blames the India for instability of Baluchistan while India for Kashmir.
    #14. Economic rivalry for resources like water and oil.
    #15. It also became a part of inside politics.

• Thank you Professor,Free knowledge and lessons are always good!😜

• Sorry my mistake I disputed your point no 5 regarding the Aryan thing and point no. 12 cause it portrayed that India has also supported terror attacks on Pak. In point no. 15 you said that it has all become a part of inside politics so I wanted you to elaborate further on that.

• @dudegrt09 - Honestly, I wrote that to keep my opinion neutral. I can't upset Pakistani users on this site. (In case of terrorism).

And the Kashmiri politics is based on that. Plus, I think he's Andhra Pradesh's CM (I don't know exactly, will tell you after conforming his name) he plays politics in that name too. And take an example of Mushraf.

• It is, basically, Hinduism (embodied by India, even though India is a semi-secular state with a large non-Hindu minority, the largest minority being Muslims) versus Islam (embodied by Pakistan, which is an officially Islamic state with an almost-entirely-Muslim population).

And, no, it wasn't started by "white people", as some racists would claim. Ironically, it is Christianity, the only religion that "white people" had any role in introducing to India, that has been the least problematic there.

• Well they all used to be one country for one, and then basically Pakistan was created for all the muslims and india for the hindis. And now they fight over resources, influence and borders basically.

• There was a lot of hate for hundreds of years from religion during the Moghul empire as well

• A lot of neighbouring countries tend not to like one another

• I'm afraid that like to many regional conflicts they have a history of fighting for borders and land... like there used to be conflicts between Ireland and the UK, between Israel and the Palestines, between North and South Korea, and so on...
    It's unfortunate and often the only thing it takes to solve it are 2 leaders, on both sides, willing to change that culture of disliking each other :D
    Thumbs up that will be the future :D

• Pakistan and India used to be one.. Now they separated few years after India got it's independence from British Empire.. It's mainly because of disagreement and one of them is religion. Pakistan is Muslim... Then they had war three times for the last 50 or 70 years.

• I think it's about Islam and Hinduism mostly. They used to be one country but Britain split them up after Gandhi won them independence from Britain.

• 1. India is a democracy, Pakistan for most of it's life has remained a Islamic Dictatorship. 2, There is a huge history of bad blood between these two nations, 3. The British for their own benefit divided India into India and Pak, which led to riots all over the country and millions of Hindus and Muslims lost their lives 4. Pak is a muslim state, India is a Hindu majority, secular state 5. Pak has propagated terrorism against India 6. Pakistan considers Kashmir to be their own territory.

• Once upon a time, some white people went to India, shot a bunch of people and then jumped on some elephants and shot some tigers. After they had their fun, they decided to start a religious war between the local Muslims and the local Hindus, telling the Muslims they can go live in one half of the country now called Pakistan, and the Hindus can go live in another half called India, so that everybody was too confused to realize what a mess the white people left behind.

• basically no deep explanation.

blame the crickets.

• its to do with the dispute over Kashmir region

• I'm a Pakistani and I like Indians... except when it comes to head to head cricket matches :P

• Holy wars... the punishment due. Peace sells, but who's buying

• I don't know the answer, But in some way, It sounds like Israel and Arabs.

• - disputed territory
    - Hindu vs Islam
    -neighbours

What Girls Said 2

• i m a pakistani.. and i dont dislike india.. or any other country.. india has a lot of good and friendly people... and you cannot judge a race or human because of his or her nationality.. what happened more than 60 years ago should not affect the lives of people now.. we should b smart and mature enough to do these things.. i respect and like everyone.. because you get what you give.. :)

• Not all of them hate each other.

Both countries are at fault.

I have many Indian friends (who are both Hindu and Muslims) and I love them. They are great.