Poll: do you feel sorry for the men of the whaleship essex or do you think they got what they deserved?

For those of you who don't know the whaleship essex was attacked and sunk in 1821 after a hunting forray when an enormous bull sperm whale rammed and sank it in the middle of the pacific ocean and 13 of the 21 man crew died out at sea.

• I feel sorry for them
  • No, they deservesd it

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't feel sorry for them.

They were hunting the whale, and lost. They could have just as easily been lost in a storm.

That is the risk of the sea.

I'd feel sorry for them if the rudder broke, causing them to lose the ability to steer, and the ultimately starved to death.

What Girls Said 1

• I mean, I feel bad for the loss of life. Didn't they use whale blubber as lamp oil back then? And like whale bones for boats and stuff? I'm guessing somebody ate the meat as well.

• They did but anything that whale oil could be used for vegetable oil could be used as a substitute.

• I'm not sure

• apparently hemp oil was wildly popular and useful before the modern era

What Guys Said 3

• 1821? huh don't remember much since then

• They deserved it

• All men must die