How long is it socially acceptable to mourn the death of a loved one?

Can a person mourn someone for 5 or 8 years.. Is it acceptable?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 10

• The question isn't exactly whether it's acceptable but rather if it's healthy. Honestly, one should take the time that is needed yet on average a couple weeks-couple months if not one full year should be the maximum, it is what it is and beating yourself up over it won't do anyone much good. Truthfully, in the event one can't seem to get over it, there are methods and ways of doing so, distractions and regular life aside. In the wisdom of this world one might say that you need people in your life who know how to truly counsel and console a. k. a be a comforter. However, nothing beats the prince of peace. May you receive peace, God willing most especially.

• Oh yes i tend to have days i still mourn over my mom
    she passed all going on 12 years this Nov 2015
    and some days i sit and feel bad cause i miss her
    so much but we all had our differences but bloods
    thicker than water no two ways you see it but
    i see it being acceptable to mourn over love ones
    i think we need to grieve in life.

• Socially acceptable? Who gives a fuck what other people think if you have been mourning "too long". If someone important died you should take as long as you like mourning them. If someone doesn't like it tell them to screw off cause they aren't you.
    My mom and dad died in the same year back in 2011. It will probably take me the rest of my life to get over it and if someone has a problem with it that's too bad for them.

• As long as you want to

• You can't ever get over that never

• 5-8 years is too long in social standards nobody really gets over it they just become more numb to it as the years go on.

• Not sure, like nonstop I'd find that abnormal, if that mourning would affect the life of that person..
    But there are times that I get a random flashback of family member who passed, and then that I suddenly feel down because of that for a few hours to a day

• If it is constant mourning year after year after year etc then no but here and there after the first 2 years I think is fine.

• Depends how dramatic and attention seeking they are, if they are neither of those things; they can mourn indefinitely as far as I'm concerned.

• Mourning is something that is always acceptable you should not be looked down upon for mourning

What Girls Said 8

• Everyone's timeline for grieving someone is different. Take as much time as your heart needs to heal.

• If their child died I can understand being upset for that long. If it is a parent - maybe 3 years should be maximum and if it is a friend I say 2-3 years at most.

• Take as long as you need. Try and move on with your life as much as possible (like, don't do the Miss Havisham thing but take your time).

• Eventually the person mourning is going to have to move forward with their lives. Mourning for someone for so long can get extremely unhealthy. That's not to say they must forget all about their loved ones who passed either.

• Until they aren't as sad anymore or in other words when they reach stage five in the five stages of grief- acceptance. So in other words there's no set time, just when you're done.

• You can mourn for someone as long as you need to.. Eventually you'd be able to accept it but that doesn't mean it won't hurt anymore only you'd get used to it.

• Mourn as long as you need to.

But don't destroy your life over it.

• You can grieve as long as you need, but if it's started to overtake your own health it's time to seek help.