Best Pokemon game out there?

Okay, so hate me if you want but I'm a fan of Pokemon. However, I have an aversion to the newer ones as I am a fan of older things, like older ones seem more fun and make more sense to me. At least Pokemon Emerald.

So in terms of newer stuff, which Pokemon game should I play? I want one that doesn't have unnecesarily stupid Pokemon, does include either Poochyena or Houndour, and truly makes some sense in terms of the missions. One that I can choose to be male or female, if possible, cause I hate being assigned a gender.

Most Helpful Guy

• No worries pal. I'm a fan too.

Well, if you got a 3DS, you can start with the Hoenn remake. Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby are fantastic remakes, capturing the old feel of RS with a new twist. Newer pokemon, a new type (fairy (basically one of the only types that hurt dragons)), and a new form of evolution called Mega Evolution (this is only for specific pokemon however. But there are a good number of them so far). And yes, Poochyena's in there. You can pick either boy or girl. There is also an after story mission, where you can get two legendaries, including one that's never been implemented into the games and was an event only pokemon. X and Y also let you change the appearance of your character, customizing them however you want. It's also the introduction of Megas, and Fairies. Gen 6.

My only suggestion is to avoid Black and White, since you're basically just following a pathway to the League. There's no backtracking, there's no "you need to go through here to get to here, then you can get here". Black and White 2 are better at this, but you'll need to understand the story of Black and White to understand everything. However, there are plenty of new pokemon in this gen, with Black and White being entirely new pokemon until after you beat the League. Gen 5.

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum are good editions to the pokemon world, and you can definitely see them starting to transition from one gen to the next. It kinda feels like the old games, due to it's 2D appearance, but not quite. Diamond did get me back into the pokemon franchise though, so give it a whirl if you want. Good luck finding a copy though. Platinum... I only finished two badges before I got bored. Play whichever you want though.

And that's my wall of text.

• Very descriptive, thank you very much. I was told good things about X, Y, Alpha Sapphire, and Omega Ruby but nobody ever clearly described why. You did.

I heard of the mega evolution and know Gyarados is and am looking forward to that!

• Gyarados is my favorite simply because it evolves from a useless ass fish that depressed me, but now excites me.

• Thank you for MHO.

What Girls Said 2

• OK HANDS DOWN POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION WAS GREAT ON WII.

• Omg I remember this! On game boy!

What Guys Said 3

• red, blue and yellow will always b my favs :)

ever played em?

• there all the same but i guess i really enjoyed pokemon pearl/diamond/platinum.

They were the most fun in my opinion.

• Pokemon crystal is still the best lol.