Why are we called "sistahs"?

It sounds very ghetto and I don't like it. I was in the bathroom in WalMart fixing my hair when my mom said, "girl come on we don't have time for that." A lady (also black) came out and said "she's a sistahs she has to make sure she looks good."

Most Helpful Guy

• It's formal slang just for the sistas lol
    You don't like it?

What Guys Said 4

• It's a black culture term, used to signify that all of us are a community, because we share a common experience being black in this world.

Are u used to not being called "sistah "?

• then u should mention it u don't lke it i guess?

• I don't know why are guys called brothers? Why are we called guys and you called girls? There is no correct answer to this question.

• It's black slang talk for sister...

What Girls Said 4

• Just let her be. People have different ways of expressing themselves.

• Yea ion get the sista/brotha stuff either... Like dude I am of no relation too you (other than in Gods way)

• It's not meant to be taken literally. Sometime in the distant past, black men and women were a union. So that was seen as respect. For instance, I was at the store alone and an older black gentlemen just said "hey, how you doin, sista?" And I said "I'm fine, thanks, you?" With a smile.

It's just what a lot of black people do in the south/east coast and even in Nigeria.. lol. And some do it on the west coast but not really. I can account for them. But yeah. It just means that they're acknowledging you. It's not that serious.

• Oh yea I mean deep down, its annoying to here, bt I would never just go off on someone for calling me that @sweetnovella

• It started in the 60s or so I believe. Dont take it seriously.

• because back then black woman stick together our afro's our culture just like black men would call eachother brother, its nothing to take offense to you should be proud :)