Can you really blame me for being racist when that's what I was taught?

The first time I knew I wasn't allowed to talk to white people was when I was 7. My mom took me and my brother to a park. I wanted to go on a swing and a little girl was already on it. So, I stood by the swing and waited and then she saw me and asked if I wanted to swing. I told her that she could keep swinging until she was finished (she is white btw). Her mom overheard and she said, "Brittany let her get a turn you've been on for a while." So, she got off, when I got on I told her that we could share and we tried to squeeze together on the swing, i'm still laughing about it xD My mom walked fast towards us and grabbed me off and said I couldn't talk to her. Brittany's mom asked,"why" and my mom said something but I don't remember. I know it was rude though. When we got back home she said that I couldn't talk to white people because they were part of the KKK. Of course, I didn't know what that was and she told me that it was, "a group of white people who hung black people (especially black little girls) from trees." I believed her and I was shocked because Brittany seemed so nice. Ever since then i've refused to associate with white people. I even got send to detention once for refusing to work with a white girl and I told her that if she touched me I would hang her from a tree. A couple days ago I thought "I don't want to be racist anymore." I was trying to unracify myself... I don't think that made sense but whatever cx Until, I was on the internet and decided to look up racist forums to piss myself off and I thought, "damn since they want to be racist then i'm going to be racist back." Whenever I try to unracify myself, I always think about what my mother used to tell me and I read the stuff online and I hate white people even more. It is my mother's fault, right?

Most Helpful Guy

• A child can blame it on their parents. An adult needs to accept responsibly for their own life. You can't blame all of your issues on your mother forever. Eventually you will have to own up to the way you choose to interact with others. I know breaking away from how you are raised isn't easy, but we all have similar baggage that we have to learn to deal with as adults.

Do you really think Brittany ever even thought about hanging you from a tree? Heck even her mom asked her to stop so you could have a turn. Do you realize how many white supporters Obama had in the last two elections? Or how many white women idolize Oprah?

There will always be some haters, but they are a vocal minority. Mostly they are cowards that hide behind a computer screen and enjoy saying anything to make other people upset. I hope you grow up to be the kind of woman than can walk away from the hate.

What Guys Said 6

• This is like being told as a child that Santa Claus is real and then spending the rest of your life disappointed than he never shows up because you were "taught" that he is real.

Sometimes we just have to engage our own brain and think independent thoughts.

• you can't blame yourself for being taught things
    but you can blame yourself for not learning new things

• "fault" is a harsh word to use. Your mother taught you the best she knew how. If you look at the media today and see all these white cops shooting black people, imagine how much worse it would have been back in her day, and how much worse it would have been before that in your grandparents days?

The thing is, white people are racist as fuck. Black people are racist as fuck. Asians are racist as fuck. Brown people are racist as fuck. Jews are racist as fuck. Everybody is racist as fuck. The fact that you're acknowledging it in yourself and try to do something about it is already progress.

Just be the best you can be, and try to show a better example for the next generation. This isn't something that can be fixed overnight.

• Whoever's fault it is, just don't associate yourself with any racists and hang out with at least one white person, to make yourself more tolerant. Looking up racist forums won't help either.

• This sounds like one of those fake "real letters" that get passed around in chain emails.

Troll activity suspected.

• Why does everything have to be trolling on here? Just because someone posts something negative does not mean it's trolling. That's all I see on here "troll. troll. troll."

• She probably just didn't want to get a lot of hate because of her perspective of things...

• "She" is probably not a she, nor under 18, nor even likely black. The way the post is written reeks of some white guy's sockpuppet.

• Yes, we can blame you for not learning.

What Girls Said 3

• I do put some of the blame on your mother but now that you're older you should try to make friends with some of us, because we aren't all racist. You may hear that A LOT but I swear to God, not all of us are. Now that you're older, it's your job to rid of that hate. Judging people on the color of their skin... Their SKIN.. Is absurd and pathetic. Stop reading those forums, they're mostly of trolls who won't say any of that shit in person so why does it matter? I'm white and i'm NOT a racist. I feel that no one should be. It's just skin...

• Being racist is wrong and when you die God won't care that your mother taught you to be racist - just like He won't care that the slave traders were taught that black people were not human - everybody is responsible for good behaviour regardless of what they have been taught.

• That's horrible. Well... she didn't help.