People on GAG seem to tolerate a lot from something called admins and mods under the aegis that this not a paid service. You are sadly mistaken?

Several major US Universities are engaged in a widespread study of what they call 'hidden costs' to the Internet consumer. In the case of GAG, we pay these fees by being inundated with advertising. It is reasonably harmless when all we encounter are pretty little patches of color we can click on voluntarily, but how many times have you started to read someone's post and your finger accidently hit on something that directs you to a page you had no intention of visiting? Or for tab users such as myself, with onscreen keyboards, how often do you click on a comment window, only to have a potato chip ad obscure your view entirely until you 'x' it out? I myself easily spend three minutes per session in such activities, three minutes I cannot afford.

There is no official indication yet what action is or is not going to come out of this study, but unofficial word is that sites such as GAG may face a 20% increase in domain fees unless they reduce their ad space by just as much AND eliminate ALL pop ups.

Any response?

OK people, wake up. If I have to download ad blockers, I am still investing my time. If I have to climb some magic ladder and get a pretty swirly by my name, that is a condition for being free of this nuisance. I am not saying GAG is not a valuable forum, but don't worship it like it's some kind of Ubergod.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• Once you reach level 7 or 8 the ads will disappear for you when you log in. Also you can just use Ad Block or something if you don't want to see ads on any website.

Only the administrators have control over what kind of advertising goes on the site. Moderators (and super and uber moderators) have no control over that. We don't have to pay to use sites like this one because the revenue comes fron advertising. No website is truly free.

• The ads go away once you're at level 7. Although, I still get those tiny ads that pop up sometimes when I'm typing. I also have ads on the sides with the feed but those don't really bother me other than the fact that they're ads.

• On my phone I don't have any popups.

• Try ad block.

• AdBlock Plus is all you need.

What Guys Said 9

• After level 7 5,000 points it is ad free

• I use script blockers bro. I suggest you do the same. Or at the very least ad blockers.

If you're using an android device root it and stick in adaway.

• I'm with you. I can't tell you the last time I have seen an ad anywhere online lol

• and what does this have to do with moderators? We have no say in any of this.

• You seem to have plenty of say so in censorship.

• Ok, so both of you are full of shit.

• have a nice day

• Ad block Plus will eliminate many ads.

• I don't know ads you are talking about I have never seen an ad on here ever. Well I don't see ads anywhere. So I don't really care.

• I don't even use AdBlock for this site and I've never encountered a popup. Are you sure your PC isn't infected by adware? Some adware redirects you per X number of clicks.

• They gotta pay hosting costs somehow.

• i've been meaning to ask this... how many accounts do you have? What are you?

• I'm a 35 year old high school principal, and I've never represented myself otherwise. I have never posted as 'Anonymous', either.

• OK, so both of you are full of shit. Thanks.

• Sorry wrong box.

• i use an adblocker