Why are blue or green eyes recessive genes and hard to get?

For instance in my family, my great-great grandmother had blue eyes and dirty blonde hair (her parents were Belgiums) while my great-great grandfather had dark haired and brown eyes.

It took all the way till the 3rd generation for someone to get her hair and eye color. It seems like once they get married to someone with the dominant genes, that color is already hard to get and can skip a whole or couple generations.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no idea why anything is a recessive gene.. might be interesting to research

• yes, it would... would be cool if there was an explanation why it's more likely for someone to get brown or dark brown eyes than blue or green eyes. They both had 4 kids and neither of them got her blue eyes nor hair color.

What Guys Said 2

• generally blue/green r less frequent than brown eyes... no?

• Why well because normally dominante genes are better.

What Girls Said 1

• Because if there is any presence of the dominant trait (brown eyes) then the recessive trait will not show at all. A brown eyed person can carry the blue eyed gene but it won't show. A person must have only the recessive trait in order for it to be shown.