Can I just play piano without learning how to play it?

Like create my own beautiful pieces without any needless instructions..

Most Helpful Girl

• Well u have to at least know what notes and chords are.
    i dont play with sheet music. i write it like an amateur or just play by ear, but i do have knowledge of the instrument itself.
    that is mandatory.

creating a beautiful piece without knowing the basics will be a challenge to say the least. almost impossible actually. i suggest u build ur knowledge on it if ur really passionate =]

What Guys Said 9

• No, you need instruction if not to learn how to play then to have a base idea of how to play. You could teach yourself I suppose but you'd probably sooner give up then get anywhere, have patience take the lessons and learn how to play then once you know how to play. You can go about creating your own pieces of music.

• Yes, sure you can play any instrument without ever taking any
    playing lessons.. That's what happens i know these two guys
    never went to plumbing school to be a plumber and their dad
    taught them everything there is to know about plumbing and
    they learned just by their dad.. So yes anything is possible.

• Yeah, just start playing and go for it. You may have to practice at first, unless you the franchise player. And cause I said practice I just had to link this. After all it's practice, not a game not a game not a game lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM

• No and Hell no. You need to learn how to play and how to read and write music.

• Sure, but without any real understanding of the way it works you won't get vary far. Their is a tun of math, that you kind of need to understand to make the sounds pretty.

• Some people are a natural learners and just wing it on the spot

• It would probably help if you knew some chords, but tinkle away on those ivories anyway and see if any magic happens!

• Sure. But it will sound as bad as Justin Bieber singing opera

• No You need to learn the basics at least

What Girls Said 6

• You need to know the correct way to play or you'll hurt yourself. You also need to know the correct fingerings to play effectively, know theory so you can understand what you're playing and composing, and know how to read music so you can play it and share your compositions.

If you want to be good or successful at something, you have to put in the work.

• You're going to need some kind of guidance to learn the basic fundamentals of piano, like scales and chords. Also proper playing technique, how to construct a song and improvise, things like that.

• You can try, but I'm not sure if it'll be too good.

• i mean some people do have a gift. but you really do need to learn basic chords at least

• Yes, of course. Music has not right and wrong. Of course, notating your music and understanding how it all fits would be easier with lessons, but you dont need lessons to be creative (I'm a music teacher :))

• Whatever makes you happy !

That way seems a lot more fun