What would happen if you're morbidly obese and starve yourself for two weeks?

Let's say you weigh 400-600 pound and you stop eating for a full two weeks. That means no food just water. Would you die? Get skinnier? Stay the same?

Thanks guys, I'm not morbidly obese myself however I was watching my 600 pound life on TLC and that question has been in my mind.

Most Helpful Girl

• You would not die. You wouldn't get sick either. You'd definitely start losing weight but since you chose a very unhealthy way to do so, your body will run out of vitamins and essential minerals which are needed for a healthy body to functon properly and make you lose weight.
    Second you will fall pray to the yoyo effect which means you will not only gain back the weight you lost, you will gain even more weight as soon as you start eating normally again. And third the mental strain is just too much.
    Why pick an unhealthy regime when you can benefit more from a better diet plan which supplies your body with all the essentials it needs and add a 15 min walk to your daily routine and increase it on a weekly basis to get to 45 mins? Not only will you lose weight, you will also feel a lot better and you won't be mentally drained after 2 weeks.
    Good luck

What Guys Said 11

• You won't die. Even a "normal" person can survive a month or so on just water. But the body will bur nmuscle mass durin th last week (s).

You will burn a fair bit of fat, BUT your body will adapt to no nutrition, so the moment you start eating again, your body will store EVERYTHING as fat. You'll gain weight like nevr before!

If you want to get fit, start jogging or walking. How far? 2 kilometers each day, minimum! Oh, and i'm talking about 2 kilometers AFTER your legs start burning like fire, and you feel like dying!
    Throw in some cardio too, and go get a personal trainer if you can afford it. You're going to hate him/her in the start, but he/she will ensure you loose weight :)

• The human body can survive for about three weeks on average without food. Longer if you have more calories. However your body consumes muscle at the bigining then shifts to fat until it no longer has enough to sustain it then shifts back to the muscle, even stripping some of it from the heart itself. In the time span you suggested it would not be leathel, but it would be damaging. They would get thinner but any injury sustained would not heal particularly well since it has no material with which to rebuild with. The skin, having been stretched out, would remain at its original size resulting in a lot of loose folds of skin. easily survivable, but unpleasent and you wouldn't look perticularly good for quite awhile. Not a good method of dieting either, since your body would try to pack on as much fat as possible the moment you got food incase of another event such as the one it just experienced.

• You would definitely get sick. The body needs certain nutrients, even while you're trying to lose weight. You would lose some weight, but if your are that heavy what you need is sustained weight loss, not three weeks of madness followed by physical collapse.

Honestly, if you're that obese you should be under medical supervision.

• Probably heart attack from shock on your system. 18 days ago I was 324 now 306.3 just did meal substitutes super light snacks Nd tons of salads if I'm hungry I eat an apple glass of water I weightlift every other day. Don't starve yourself you'd just end up binge eating after you end up being hungry as fuck. Eventually you'll get used to small portions and lose large chunks if weight early on like 7-10lbs a week

• You wouldn't die. You may pass out or go in a coma.

• Just google it.
    Same as if you think that stairs and elevator are way too slow, and look throw the 10th floor balcony.

• If done under medical supervision, it's possible for morbidly obese people to live for a surprisingly long time without eating.

• What ever you do, do not starve yourself. Your body makes you you so don't do that. But if just want to get the beach body starving will not work. If you don't eat you can die or get really sick. You need to eat but you need to exercise like jog or swim or bike. Remember that pound will not go away like a light. It does matter how much you eat, it matter about what you eat cause if you eat junk then you got junk in the trunk. DONT STARVE YOURSELF!!!

• There would be next to no health affects--besides weight loes.

• probably both die and skinnier

• Actually no... you'll just die

• A human can live for three weeks without food. So you're saying if they're morbidly obese they can't live as long without it?

• Hmmm water huh (my bad for not reading it all)... I think you'll actually live, but I don't think you'll lose weight or see much difference, you'll get a lot weaker though

• Your body goes into survival mode. Your metabolism shuts down, so when you do start eating again you'll gain all the weight back plus some.

What Girls Said 4

• No. You'd lose weight since your body will be living off your fat cells.

There has been on some news outlets a story of an egyptian man who starved himself in protest for several months of his father being jailed, i believe. He is very sick now. But was perfectly fine the first couple months.

• I've heard that staving yourself makes you fatter because a. The stress and b. It turns everything into fat storage. Your body will start eating itself muscles bones all that jazz.

• A really huge bowel movement is what would happen :)

• You would get skinnier but when you start eating again you'd put all the weight back on pretty fast. When you stop eating like that your body goes into a phase where, when you do start eating again, it stores all the fat instead of letting you burn it off when you exercise.