Are you bilingual? What country are you from? Is being bilingual popular where you are from?

At what age did you start learning different languages?

Most Helpful Guy

• Natively Dutch (The Netherlands), learned English from TV at very early age, but it became a subject in school at the age of 10 ish. German and French at 14.

What Guys Said 26

• I know Hindi and English . India has 22 official languages in the constitution. According to Census of India, the total number of mother tongues spoken in India is 1652. However, only around 150 languages have a sizable speaking population. Nonetheless, Hindi and English are 'considered' to be official languages. But still only ~40% Indians speak Hindi and you can see the struggling Indians on GAG in case of English haha.

In Urban areas, I think almost every Indian is bilingual. In 'Hindi', we call India as "Hindustan" and our language as "Hindustani" which consists of an official language of the state + English + one mother tongue.

I started learning English at the age of 5 (alphabets at 4). From next year, I'll learn French too and Spanish before I die :)

• Ahh indded i am nichole.
    Barely trilingual but i wouldn't be able to ask for a glass of water if my life depended on being able to speak mandarin lol

The other one is starting to get rusty as well.

English is the one I'm most confident in this day lol tho i might learn french someday if i move to quebec eh.

Is it common to be bilingual you say? Well thats expected to be i say.

So Nichole , with roots as diverse as yours. I'm curious into your linguistics prowess.
    Bilingual or more yourself?

• I'm terrible! I took 3 whole years of American Sign Language in high school and I never used it or practiced afterwards and totally lost it! I want to learn more Italian (because I just think it is a beautiful language and I am half Italian, so it just makes sense :P ) but I also know that I am going to have to take more sign language for college if I want to graduate in the future at a college I am planning to transfer to.

• Ooooh sign language eh well can't say its not not transcending borders when it has transcended the verbal one

• I can't fully speak any one language quite yet but I have basic knowledge of all the languages from the countries I am from ethnicity wise and a few just because I want to learn them also I'm the US.

Those would be

German from my father and self taught

Czech self taught

Hungarian self taught

French back in high school from a Frenchmen who moved from Paris to Kansas he taught me a little then I taught myself some.

Scottish speak English mostly so yeah, and Scottish Gaelic is really hard to find

Welsh self taught

Latin self taught

Japanese self taught and learned from my father

Learning each and everyone of them slowly one at a time.

• i am tri-lingual ;)
    i am from the good ol'USA
    Many people in my neighborhood are mexican American so yeah they speak Spanish and English

I started learning different languages from the start so i guess from 2-3 years old i was learning English Spanish and italian all at once

• I speak Urdu and English so yes. I know some stuff in Spanish and a few things in Arabic. I think I remember a couple words in Somali but forgot some too.

• Write something in Arabic from your mind right now :) ... Let me see.

• @YazanAA -
      السلام عليكم ازيك؟

• Haha "ازيك" is used in Egypt, do you know how we say it in Palestine, Lebanon and Syria (we have a very similar accents) ?

• I can speak 4 languages.
    My mother tongue is Dutch (here in Belgium also called Flemish) but I can also speak French, English and a little German.
    Oh and about 100 words of holiday Spanish haha...
    Believe me, knowing your languages is a big advantage. It makes you popular on the job market :D

• My mother tongue is Greek. I've also learnt to speak English , Swedish and Italian. I've also studied French in high school but I can't speak it. I started learning English by the age of 7.

• Yes I'm, I speak 3 languages, I'm from Palestine and it's very popular here to be a bilingual, most people here speak Hebrew as a second language.

• And I started learning English at the age of 6 in my school.

• @lifes_curve_ball okay...

كيفٓك and it's pronounced as 'kefak' ( the male version)
      كيفِك and it's pronounced as 'kefik' ( the female version)
      كيفكم and it's pronounced as 'kefkoum' ( the plural version)

So those are the most famous ways of saying "how are you?" In Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.

• Sweet! Thanks man, I gotta really learn Arabic. Would make life so much better to know it.

• I'm Dutch. I speak English pretty fluently and I know a fair amount of German as well. Enough to get by in Germany. I'm also dabbling in learning Japanese. I like the language, but it's hard to get motivated since there are very little direct benefits to learning it in comparison to let's say, Spanish or Chinese.

• Mandarin and English . Understand tiny bit of Spanish. I want to learn french German or Italian and some basic Japanese.

• I'm trilingual.

I'm from the UK and not a lot of people here are bothered about learning a second or even third language.

My next language will be Dutch.

• I'm from indonesia and you can say that i am bilingual. Besides bahasa indonesia, i also know English , javanese, and a bit of menado malay.

• I'm from Latvia and I have to know Latvian and Russian here. But my Russian is getting rusty.

• I speak 6 languages, if including my mothertongue. Most people here speak Estonian and English and also some people speak Russian.

• I am, answering from Belgium here
    Here you can study many different languages

Not sure if it's popular, but it sure comes in handy

• At what age did you start learning different languages?

• I played it off cool, but I had to search the definition on google first in order to answer this haha

• Yes. I can speak English and Spanish fluently. Unfortunately, I can't write or read Spanish. I can speak some German as I taken many years, but I haven't practice and I'm not very good.

• Yes I am I can speak Kurdish pretty well but English is my main language

• I am not natively bilingual but I can write/speak English at a fairly high level. I've learned it being on the internet for too long.

• (My native language is Dutch)

• Lol a lot of people are saying that they have learned English from being on the internet. It is pretty funny. :)

• Yeah, it's weird too. My grandmother made me watch some BBC programmes as a child so I knew some basic stuff, but I got into computers at the age of like, six and that really had its influence — it wasn't until about thirteen that I really got good at it though, re-reading some of my writing from back when I was about 11 I'm honestly pretty embarrassed, it was quite terrible.

• I know Sindhi, Urdu, siraiki, Punjabi, Gujarati, balochi besides English ... 👊😚

• I am from Ireland officially bilingual English and irish but most would struggle to speak irish.

• English primarily, and Swedish second.

• I am on the way to be quadrilingual. Native-level Chinese, almost-native-level English , learning French and German now.

• I'm barely unilingual.

• Yes I am. I'm from the U. S. but I also speak another language.

• i am bilingual (german/english). it´s pretty much standard to know English here.

• At what age did you start learning English?

• lol that is so true. I don't see anyone speaking Latin!

• yeah it´s very awkward and complicated to actually speak it. we only learn writing it anyway.

• yes i am hindi and English

What Girls Said 16

• Bilingual and a half. I speak English and Polish fluently, can read and write in both. I'm losing my knowledge of French. Mainly getting rusty on the verb conjugations but I could get by. :)

Little known fact but Polish was actually my first language, making me ESL. My parents sent me to preschool back when I was 4-5 to actually learn English , as nobody at home spoke it. Once there, I didn't speak a word for months.

• I'd like to visit Poland lol

• I'm trilingual, know how to speak English , Spanish and german Was born in Venezuela and grew up around the world, so i've always been pretty much surrounded by bilingual People.

• i'm trilingual... i speak both Kreol/French/English

• I come from Italy, and apart from italian, I can speak other 3 languages. I've been learning English since I was 5, French since I was 11 and German since I was 16. And no, I don't think it's so common here. Most of the people can barely speak English

• Really? Surprising! Love the fact that you know multiple languages! It is a wonderful thing to have!

• I am from Luxembourg and, like many other Luxembourgish I am actually trilingual lol

• I'm from Llama Rainbow Unicorn Glitter and Hearts Country and I speak Spanglish <3

• I guess so. Yeah , most people here speak English and French.

• English
    Italian

• I'm from Brazil so I speak Portuguese, then I lived in Sweden for 2 years and so I learnt Swedish and while I lived in Sweden I learnt English - I live in Australia now

• I speak more than two languages.

• I used to speak Indonesian but for the love of me I can't remember a word of it

• I'm from Romania and I'm trilingual, Romanian, Hungarian and English . Romanian (obviously) and Hungarian I learned at home and kindergarten, English in school and afterclasses. I think here is normal to be bilingual.

• That is fantastic. I really wish it was like that in America. They only required me at my school to take 2 years of a foreign language. I took 3 years because I wanted to... but if you don't use it, you lose it. I barely know the language now. Wish I knew more.

• I think it's because in America you speak English and English is universal and don't have a backround with other languages. :-?

• I'm from the Philippines and I speak one of the many dialect spoken here; Ilokano, our National language Filipino, and English . As early as 6, English is already taught here in schools.

• I am trilingual...

• Perú, my first language is Spanish and I speak English as a second language and I also took german lessons and french but french is hard for me. Portuguesse too, well I understand it but I don't speak it very well, is very similar to Spanish.

• Somewhat. I used to be fluent in french, but I'm fairly rusty. I also know a little Spanish and italian but I'm nowhere near fluent in those.

I'm from the US so there's not really a ton of incentive to learn other languages, I just find it enjoyable.