What do you think the world would be like if 9/11 never happened?

This thought just happened to pop into my mind and I just needed to know your opinions.

Wow everyone, thanks for all the answers, I feel the world would be different if sh#t like this never happened.

Most Helpful Guy

• Whole lot more people would still be breathing... not just talking about the victims of the attack. Both sides. There's an entire generation born and grown up to fighting age over there now who have never known a time without war against the US. We're starting to see the consequences of that, and it's ugly as hell.

What Girls Said 7

• I think about it sometimes and wonder. The world was so different. You can see it in the movies especially. Things just really really changed. I wish that all the terrorism stuff hadn't ever happened.

• It set off some kind of trigger. :/ its horribly sad

• The two guys who did it learned how to fly at AC PERRY AIRPORT in Miami, Fl. The airport is a few miles from my house. Its really errie. I was in shock when my mom told me. Anyone can learn how to fly a plane.

Did you hear about that man from France who crashed the airplane into a mountain? He had severe depression and they still let him fly a damn plane.

• @Bards

It's super scary. I guess that's the point of terrorism though. You just have to let old fears go and embrace a new today so they can't win.

• Well, the Soviet Union would still be in power in a few places (such as Pakistan/afghanistan) so the Taliban would never have been formed, armed or trained by the US. If the US hadn't meddled in southeast Asian politics where they weren't really welcome (as usual) 9/11 would never have happened.

If you're asking about acts of terror, they'd still be committed. Acts of terrorism destabilize an enemy state from within. Every military power in the history of civilization have used terrorism and scare tactics (especially the Mongols).

• honestly? of course ur country would have been different, but something else would have come up eventually.
    i know that day shook the world, but it doesn't hurt anyone as much as those who live there =/

• Muslims would not be discriminated against as much as they are definitely. Here's a video about it:
    https://youtu.be/oG6uv9gVruc

• I think 911 was an excuse by the American government to take away its citizens rights. You now have a secret police, no protection against unlawful imprisonment, no more right to trial, no more freedom of speech guarantees, no more right to privacy... without 911, this would not have been possible.

• You really think they'd sacrifice all those people just for that? o_o weren't they doing all that before? I feel like the government has the power to such things on the down low anyway regardless of what we say as a whole.

• Someone has been watching "Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura"

• I have not seen that. What network is that on?

• I feel like it would be the same mostly but ISIS wouldn't be around just yet.

• I honestly don't think it would be all that different.

What Guys Said 10

• I feel like the world was moving in a really good direction prior to that. The optimism of the '90s, progressive attitutes to sex and women, to name but a few. Even some tentative action on the environment.

Then 9/11 happened and I feel like it all went to shit. Like the world lost its innocence. Still remember that day, coming home, and it was like WTF, this is like some terrible movie. The second tower had barely come down before CNN was declaring War on Terror and Nato was invading Afghanistan.

Then followed the travesty of Iraq, great work, what a success. And look at the world now: hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives lost or forever scarred, more terrorism than ever before, an entire region destabilized, billions (if not trillions?) of dollars spent, and years of public debate spent talking about war and death instead of about building a brighter future.

I think the world would have been immeasurably better. People all over the world would never have had those terrible images seared into their minds. So many good people would still be alive. We could have done so much.

• Is it just me or is there an age trend in all these answers?

• "We could have done so much."

So true. It's poignant to remember a pre-September 11 world. Sad to imagine how that world could have developed if the trillions of dollars and millions of lives had been engaged constructively and meaningfully, instead of wasted and destroyed.

I'm not sure we've experienced anything positive since 9/11 which we would not have experienced without it. And that's tragic. It's had a horrifying effect on the world.

• @detlef: Thank you :)

I can think of some positives. America has learned (in the hardest way imaginable) some lessons about military intervention. The difference between the initial approach (where it's my impression Iraqis were seen as "sandniggers"), and the later realisation that you had to work with the locals and have cultural sensitivity, I like to believe that that has taught a lot of young soldiers something about universal commonalities among humans and about a different culture.

I also think you have a young generation who takes an interest in the world around them. The late '90s were a bit narcissistic. Eminem rapping about his relationship with his mom, girlfriend and daughter and Britney singing about teen love, that was sort of what it was all about.

• it would be a world without the racial scene from Harold and Kumar 2. sadness

• There was an episode like that on Family Guy

• LOL
      Lois:9...
      Crowd:...
      Lois: ELEVEN
      Crowd: *cheers*

• Terrorism happens all over the world, all the time. It was just one incident, one REALLY BAD incident. I do think the world would be slightly different though

• don't know if the world really has changed because of that... America probably has but the the rest of the world don;t know?

• No 9/11 = no Iraq war
    No Iraq war = no ISIS

by the way I believe the US government was behind it. Because they planned an attack on American soil earlier to invade Cuba. It is called 'Operation Northwoods'.

Look it up.

• Less paranoid about muslim terrorists
    that's for sure

• we'd still be in chains and getting dumbed down.

• People at Irak would be much happier.

• 9/11 is a conspiracy of fucking American Government !!