Were you born into your religion or did you convert? If you converted, why?

other religious question made me think of this

Most Helpful Girl

• I was born Catholic

What Girls Said 5

• Born muslim, not religious since I was an early teen. My brain just can't accept religion and the religious way of reasoning.

It was terrible growing up in a religious household while not being a believer myself.

• You say it was terrible and how is it now if i may ask?

• I wasn't born into any religion, my parents weren't into it. I would go to a Baptist church sometimes when I was married because my ex was raised baptist but I don't have a lot of religious experience and I'm ok with that.

• I was born into Christianity but stopped practicing it as a teenager.

• may i ask why?

• I'm not sure if you're trying to get me to go back to Christianity but I'm much happier without it. I still celebrate important traditions with my family as the church is a significant part of our culture but that's it.

@Maverickj: I doubt there is a source. Dr. Phil is a quack who hasn't had a license to practice clinical psychology for almost 10 years now. He's just a glorified therapist.

• i just want to make you think. What is that you are happier without?

just found those things on internet and thought i share them with you.

• Born and raised a Catholic.

• I was raised Catholic but I don't consider myself religious. So spiritual - not religious is what I would say is the closest. I feel more comfortable this way.

What Guys Said 10

• Born Catholic and still Catholic. it brings me peace.

• My parents raised me as a Catholic

• I was born without any religion. I read about religion from grade 4-6, when I received a copy of a 'Children's Bible' . I wasn't ever convinced: the more I read about it , the less I was convinced: Bible, Koran, Torah... :-S

• I was born Muslim but I don't follow this religion blindly just because I was born Muslim, in fact, I had my own doubts about religions when I was younger, but after studying Islam along with other religions, I can safely say that I'm following the right path.

• how did you study religions?

• Oh I'm sorry I was late with my respond, actually in Islam we believe that there's only one God who deserves to be worshipped, he begets not nor he is begotten and there's non like him, he has no beginning and he has no end.

With all respect to other religions but actually non of them make sense to me. Actually God in the Quran is the same God in the bible that the Christians refer to as "the father" ... Actually the word "Allah" is mentioned in the Arabic bible many many times, even in the first verse. So basically Muslims and Christians believe in the same God, the only real difference is that the Christians believe that God has begotten a son who is Jesus and we Muslims refuse that. But we really believe in the same God.

• The same about God in Jewish or Christianity! Yes there's just one God... but the imagine of God is different.

You don't make clear why other doesn't make sense.

• Born as a Muslim, and Islam encourages people to educate, learn , know and understand. And as I grow up I am even more convinced and amazed by Islam as it really fills the questions how you see the world and how you should act to it.
    Thanks to god and my family and later in life the internet to become who I am now.
    PS: I never heard of a well educated Islamic scholar to convert from Islam.

• can you tell me about the answers on these questions?

• Are you sure you want to go through the differences list? Or stop here with the general common view?

• You mention the things we had in common and I agreed on the most of them except the one that what we have done in this life determine where we go in the afterlife and I don't agree with that so I had to say something about that.

• Born into it, Christian.

• Raised catholic, now non-denominational christian

• may I ask why you are now non-denomninational christian?

• Because I experience a much closer personal relationship with Christ. As a catholic, everything seemed so formal and ritualistic. Not that that's wrong, but I just wasn't growing in my faith in the catholic church

• understandable

• My parents didn't indoctrinate me, so I'm still an Atheist.

• so what did they do?

• Nope, they never told me about any kind of God existing. They did tell me more about different world religions when I was around 12, though. Only information though, they didn't try to convince me of anything. In my opinion, every parent should do it like that.

@Steve_Austin I simply wanted to give my 2 cents. My use of the word "indoctrinate" might have been a bit harsh, but you cannot edit opinions here, so it's pretty much stuck.

• i think it is normal when parents teach there kinds about their faith but of course without forcing

• i didn't convert, i'm still muslim..

• I'm born Muslim, I moved to Denmark at the age of 11, one of my bestfriends converted to Islam because he thought it was interesting, at the beginning he thought that God doesn't even exist!

• and what happend with your friend further?

• so did your friend really convert or not?

• Yeah, he did