Why do I smell so bad? What am I doing wrong?

I was inspired to ask this question by @paulina528. I know this is going to sound kind of gross but I only shower once a week and I only change my underwear once a week as well. (I'm poor so I don't have a lot of money to buy new underwear so I need to wear the ones I have to make them last. Besides this, I always put on scented lotions and perfumes and I brush my teeth as well as put on clean clothes. But could now showering for a week be the reason people tell me I smell bad? My parents also smoke cigarettes in the house so people say I smell like smoke too but I put on perfume :( why doesn't it work? Besides showering and changing my underwear, what else can I do? I obviously know these two things are essential to smelling good but what else?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah you need to shower more than once a week. If you're too poor to run the water for a long time use a washcloth, a bar of soap, and the sink.

Goodwill also sells underwear.

What Guys Said 3

• You really need to shower more. Try to use anti-bacterial soap if you can but any cheap bar of soap will do.

If you are going with the wash cloth route then you will need to cut your hair really really short (like men's army style). Soak the cloth in water and get your body/hair wet. Then you can rub soap all over your body and clean them up with the wash cloth.

The main reason people smell is because of the wastes produced by bacteria feeding on their sweats. The type of bacteria is determined by your natural immune system and different bacteria gives up different wastes. No amount of perfume will be able to rid you of your body smell if you do not clean them.

If you are living in the wilds then try your best to keep your clothes dry and make sure that you do not sweat/overheat. Certain type plants will give up a very strong anti-bacterial smoke when you burn them (leaves and all) that you can 'bathe' in by hanging your clothes in the smoke and dance around it. You need to do that regularly (like multiple times a day) to kill off any bacteria clingy to your body.

• I think you'll do fine if you just do the firist two

• The smell of smoke can only be removed with time.

What Girls Said 1

• Deodorant.
    You need to bathe more than once a week.
    Have at least 8 pairs of underwear and wear one clean pair when you're out in public. Over the weekend wear a pair for longer if you're not going to school, wash them when you run out of clean ones.