Why can't you drink at 18?

Why can't you drink at 18 while you can vote and drive?

Also, why can't you drink with parental consent in some places? If you want to drink, family allows you to drink, what the hell is the law trying to do?

What punishment you get for underage drinking?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't drink because it stunts you're brain growth and is very toxic, although let's be honest, the legal drinking age is by no means a large deterent

• *your not you're

• I don't believe there's certain age limit.

• Why did I he down voted? Alcohol is very bad for you and you shouldn't drink it before you're 21, but if you really want to (in my opinion) go ahead. I'm not a fan of limiting what other people do. That's just the reasoning behind the drinking age

What Guys Said 22

• It actually doesn't have anything to do with health risks or responsibility issues. Of course, alcohol is a dangerous substance (some researchers say it's as dangerous as cocaine) but other countries, particularly in Europe , have shown that liberal laws in terms of drinking age actually lead to less problems, not more. One short example: my dad is Greek. In Greece is culturally accepted to drink alcohol (mostly wine) even as a child. Wine is not so much considered an alcoholic substance but more something like a traditional, culturally important beverage (somewhat like Coke in the US I guess). So while growing up, I always got to drink a few sips of alcohol here and there. For weekend dinners my sister and me sometimes asked for some wine (even when were just 8 or 9) and my dad would give us a small glass, fill it up half way and dilute with some water. This way, I grew up to enjoy wine but to drink it in a very moderate fashion. Even later in my teenage years (the legal drinking age in my country is 16), I didn't go crazy with alcohol. I just didn't see the need for it. Unlike other people my age, I didn't think of alcohol as this cool taboo drink that I must try be grown up. To me, it was just like drinking soda or juice.
    The drinking age in the US has mostly to do with historical reasons. As you probably know, alcohol was completely prohibited in America for 13 years. I know this was almost a century ago but some scars have remained so to speak. Opinions only change very slowly (especially considering that senators/congressmen tend to be more conservative about this kind of issues than the people they represent). Unfortunately, alcohol has never gotten rid of its bad image anymore in America. It's like that with cannabis too. Pot was made illegal back in the 1930s. Already in the 1970s, scientists published a number of studies that proved that a legalization of cannabis would actually have positive effects (people would abuse it less etc.). Yet, politicians refused to believe it. Still today it is illegal in most countries of the western world although countries like the Netherlands can prove that they've made positive experiences with legalizing it.
    However, I believe there is one more reason why alcohol has a bad name in the US. America is traditionally puritan (Europe is not, it's protestant and catholic). Puritans used to be religious fundamentalists. They hated earthly pleasures. This is why both sex and alcohol don't have it easy in the US.

• Wow, I wish I could choose a second MHO. In Turkey, we give children alcohol too, few years ago I took a sip of raki and hated it. I liked beer, but I don't want to drink until I completely stop growing. I don't want to be stuck at 5'1

• I don't think that's a serious danger. See, already the ancient Greek philosophers used to say "it's the amount that makes the poison". Consume everything in moderation and nothing in excess and you will have a happy life :-)

• I guess so. Thanks for the answer

• 1. As the MH says one theory is it stunts the brain growth
    2. Also that during puberty and teens the hormones are raging thus actions and reactions may be more sentiment / feeling based and risky when in an inebriated state which may lead to situations that spoil the entire life of that youngster
    3. I also think that most education depending on which country one is in that makes someone self reliant happens by 20 or 21. Hence, it is deemed they are capable of taking proper decisions and thus better under control. Further, when in school / college drinking will hamper their academics :)

• I don't drink alcohol but even I think the legal drinking age is ridiculous. If you're old enough to fill a body a bag in a foreign country while serving in the US military, you should be old enough to fill a glass with champagne.

• That's the USA. A leftover from the prohibition law, I suppose.
    Other countries are more lenient.
    The American parents I met cling to it.

• It's 19 in most provinces in Canada. Some have a legal drinking age at 18. In Europe it's 18, and in Carribean countries it's 16 I think. Personally I don't like it that much but I had access to it since 16. It's not that hard to get it especially in the US since you guys can get it at convenience stores, while in Ontario it's only specific stores.

Legal age doesn't equal drinking age so it shouldn't really concern you whether you buy it or someone else buys it for you.

• It's an American thing. In 90% of other countries once you are legally an adult you can legally drink. I'm not sure why it is different in the US, but I'm pretty sure even in Canada it is 18

• You can drink at 18 and 16 is the legal age for sex in the UK.
    I don't really drink much and I'm a virgin still, so I'm not really missing anything. xD

• Here in Australia you can drink, drive and vote when you turn 18. Not all at the same time of course lol.

• LOL, I'd like to see that

• Same in UK. I've got less than 8 weeks. Nice thing is that I'm almost 6' tall. Never been ID'd in a pub or bar in last year!

• Because young people get more and more stupid and irresponsible when it comes to alcohol. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but that's what the elder folk did with the laws back in their earlier days.

• Yeah it depends on where you live.

• It used to be 18 but the federal government would give states tax money if the didn't change it to 21

• I started drinking (on occasion) at 16 and the legal drinking age in Ontario, Canada is 19, you can vote here at 18 and you can start driving at 16 lol

• Because America.

• because its the law.

• USA law is idiotic.

• Alcohol should be prohibited entirely. It is harmful for society as a whole.

• You can drink at 18 in every other civilised country, sometimes even at 16.

• because brain and bodies aren't mature yet

• You're not mature at 18?

• Don't respect adults? Guess we don't have anything to talk about here. What a waste of time

• Don't be so stupid!! Much of it depends on how you are brought up. I have been raised by parents to make my own choices in life. They gave me all the information I needed and all the tools to use it with. So far I've decided no religion, no smoking, sex if and when I feel like it (should it come my way), alcohol in strict moderation. I know pretty much about the rest of my education and the type of work I want to do. Minors may not have too much experience as the law prohibits it!! They certainly aren't mentally inferior. You make them sound like they should be in a secure mental hospitat!!

There is also the fact that there are some adults who are much worse at judging alcohol consumption than teenagers. I cite as an example the UK football supporting fraternity. The alcoholic business people who pour out a tumbler full of spirits as soon as they get home. And finish the bottle straight after their evening meal.

• Voting doesn't damage your brain

• I didn't let the age limit stop me lol

• The federal government will withhold tax money from any state that lowers the drinking age. The 18 to 21 demographic are not likely to vote, and after the age of 21 people no longer care as much about the issue. As a result we are stuck with this stupid law, that causing young people to hide their drinking resulting in more deaths, than if they were allowed to drink openly where they could get help if they got in trouble.

• We can drink at age of 18 party!!!

What Girls Said 19

• You can drink at 18 where I live. 😛

• You can in some countries - most European countries...

• Even though it's a law in America, in Government class they said it's a law because it's really bad for your brain since it's not fully developed (and they think your brain is fully developed when you're 21 when your brain isn't fully developed until you're 25). I know it doesn't really make sense

• I don't know tbh.

Most kids here start drinking at 14/15 (high school) even though the law says 21. They hude it and drink irresponsibly.

But I'm pretty sure that your allowed to for religious purposes where I live. I've been "drinking" since 16 y/o. My parents didn't have any problem with it either.

• Because in the U. S. they thought that the amount of drunk driving accidents on the highway would decrease if they raised the drinking age from 18 to 21. It didn't really, but I assume laws are difficult to change so it's stuck ever since.

• Societal norms say you're not mature enough (and can't control yourself), but I say it depends on the person - some people are more mature at a younger age.
    But really, they can't stop you from drinking with friends/fam

• In my home country there is now a drinking age, but most beer halls and taverns will serve you at any age. If you are having a meal, it is common for everyone, even children to order a beer. They get a smaller glass of course.

• Because it can effect a teenager brain development.

www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/.../brain.aspx

• Because the US government is stupid

• It's not like that everywhere. In Denmark there is no lower age limit for drinking.

• People in the military can.

• I have no clue ask the law.

• You can legally drink at 18 here in Australia

• Cause driving can bring harm not only to you but everyone around you who you vote for into office doesn't really matter when its just one vote

• You can in the UK 👍

• You are allowed to drink at 18 where I live.

• Body isn't fully developed yet

• I dont think people should be able to drink until 25, bwcause that is when thw brain finishes developing.

• The teen brain is underdeveloped

• Then why are people who are 18 allowed to vote? They let 16 years olds vote in Scotland. It's not underdeveloped in the way tou think it is. Also, I think I already got the answer to my question