Is the whole "politeness has become so rare that people, when they actually do see it, mistake it for flirting" thing strictly an American phenomenon?

Most Helpful Girl

• People think I flirt when I am just being kind and formal.

• Well that's at least three continents where that happens so far...

What Girls Said 3

• It's a Canadian thing too. At least in Toronto. If someone is nice to you, they're either trying to sell you something or they're hitting on you.

• Awwww...I'd always been told Canadians were so polite!

• Big ex-pat American population maybe? 😄

• No, it's the business centre. Our version of Wall Street. No one has time to be nice.

• THIS IS TRUE
    IT REALLY IS AND ITS SAD

• I've been accused of flirting when I was merely being kind.

What Guys Said 5

• "Politeness has become so rare that people, when they actually do see it, mistake it for being politically correct."

Or:
    "being politically correct has become so rare that people, when they actually do see it, mistake it for being polite."

The hate for the politically correct has become an American phenomenon but it crossed the Atlantic to Europe .

• What, So, If you hold a door open for someone in the US they think you are trying to get in their pants? thats fucked up.

Where i live, If someone closed a door in your face, You'd probably get a bollocking for being a cunt xD

• I'm under the impression that a lot of guys think she's flirting with him if the girl at the register just smiles at him, or is the least bit friendly, because being even just somewhat friendly is part of her job... that sort of thing 😄

• Oh right, Well, I smile at everyone, That dosent mean i want them xD.

Damn, The US society is fucked xD

• I whole-heartedly agree 😄 but in all fairness, in my perception, "a lot of people" (though not all) *mistake* politeness for flirting... that is: there are *some* of us who are just polite, and don't think that everybody that is polite to him/her his just trying to get with him/her... they're just somewhat rare (again: in my opinion...)

• maybe worldwide... i'm afaid

• Yes. Let's just say yes. Because why not?

• I never saw it that way
    I see politeness... as well.. politeness!