Is it ever okay to force happiness on a depressed and suicidal person?

Usually these type of people who try to force happiness and prevention from suicide are the same inconsiderate morons who would resort to calling depressed and suicidal people cowards once they realize that their intervention doesn't work for jackshit.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• you can help someone who doesn't want help or see that there is a problem. you also can't make another person happy. I have been there before and it was me that had to take action to get help. I would just say that to be there for them, let them know that you are there is they need someone to talk to or listen and if they come to you, do just that, listen without criticism. That will mean the most to them and make the real difference. when you're suicidal, you feel helpless and like no one will care if you were gone.

What Girls Said 5

• People with depression can't just "get happy" that easily. Pushing a person to be happy just makes it worse. I hate it when people look down on people who are depressed and want to commit suicide. Calling them a coward is another reason for them to want to do it even more.

• I can respect that people have a opinions but if someone has the god damn audacity to disrespectfully give me their unwanted opinion anyway when I never asked for it just to be a troll to me and my depressed and suicidal loved one, then I'll just beat the respect out of the idiot.

• People have to decide to help themselves and either seek therapy or medication.

• As someone who has faced depression I know that its impossible to be forced to be happy. Although you can help the depressed person to find what makes them happy.

• Forcing doesn't work. That person needs to be willing.

But people can try to help but not force.

• To force that on the person is wrong
    the person needs to see the happiness him/herself too

What Guys Said 2

• As a frequent/long-term depressed/suicidal person, the only thing that has worked for me is a better understanding of how things work. This includes the fact that my own perceptions can lie.

So the most helpful people are those who strive to understand, but don't just go along with my negative worldview.

• @9mfeo I'm agree on this one :)