Is it normal to be in your mid-twenties and still not know what to do in life?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• It's normal. A lot of people are always trying to change careers or get new ideas for what they want to do, after they have graduated from school.

Unfortunately, taking longer to decide also puts you behind the competition and also unfortunately, it's a very competitive world. I wish it were not so, but it absolutely is. I fell into this trap myself. The problem is, the longer you take to decide, the further you fall behind your peers in terms of money, skills, and life experience. I'm feeling the sting of my indecision right now, actually. Because I don't know what I want to be, I haven't been working towards anything, both in terms of a career and in terms of hobbies or passions. As a result I haven't had money to live on my own or to go on vacations or have stuff or go out. As a result of that, I don't have too many stories or much to show for myself at 28. And as a result of both of those, I don't come off as a fun, interesting, confident man who is in control of his life.

I realize now I've lost out with a few girls that I really liked, where I could have and should have won if only I'd made a choice a long time ago as to what I wanted to be. That's the consequence I've paid for my indecision. I didn't see it then, but nothing is free. I wish I'd made a choice long ago... self-doubt definitely wasn't worth the price.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm only 19 but I took 2 years off school to just get some cash and really think about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I took many classes, tried many different things and talked with many professionals and I have finally decided what I wanted to do. It takes a healthy amount of time to truly understand who you are and what you want from life. Some simply take longer than others.

• Yes, but you will find that if you don't actually do anything you will be very, very far behind. Just do something. You can change later.

• I think that it would be difficult to get out of highschool and have exactly what you want under your belt

• I think that is almost every twenty year old

• It is normal, but you should find your direction as soon as possible.

• Why do you think you see people in their late 20s and 30s going to clubs? They don't know what else to do with their lives so they're just weekend warriors.

What Girls Said 3

• It's normal and common, especially if you attend college. I was in that same situation, as were many of my friends. Young people just don't know themselves well enough to know what they want to do. There are also just more options and doors open, which makes the decision more overwhelming.

The reason why I think it's more common for people who attend college is you usually go from ages 18-22, way too young to know yourself and make decisions about your future. I learned after college and grad school that what tells you what you like and don't like best is working jobs, and you're usually not working while in school. For example, everything I studied in school and was interested in during school that could translate to a job all involved working extensively with people. Then I started working full time and realized that, for me, working with people all day is remarkably stressful and I can't stand it. I have taken classes to change careers during my 20s and even 30s after working jobs I hated, and so have many of my friends.

• It is.

BUT... at least you should have done SOMETHING in your life. And those something should provide you ideas for what to do later.
    Many people are still in school or working toward a seemingly unattainable goal in life at this age. It is OK to not know what the end results will be, most people don't. It's not normal, however, if you don't have at least a rough idea what kind of life you want and will likely achieve.
    Don't think too much, do! Things will happen when you do.

• Normal to be in your 500's and still don't know what to do..