Why is it that the English have no written constitution?

I heard that the English do not have a wriiten constitution. Does anybody no why, and is it not better to have your constitution written.
I am assuming that they have a constitution.

Most Helpful Girl

• The "constitution" of the UK is comprised of different pieces of laws and principles taken from a compilation of different statutes, court rulings, treaties and declarations. These pieces are clearly defined as a part of the constitution. The fact that they simply are not all written on a single official document is what makes it "unwritten" though I am sure they are all written together in an unofficial book for reference.

• I think you were truly the most helpful answer in my entire history of Girls ask Guys. You really cleared it up for me, because all I heard was that they don;'e have a written constitution, and I was wondering like how can it be. Excellent answer. :)

What Girls Said 1

• I did not know that

What Guys Said 4

• English law has a different conception of "Constitution." That term in the UK generally applies to the body of law made by Parliament. Which is an odd way of thinking of a Constitution, but there you go.

It probably would be better to have a single, written, concise definition of whatever the English (and/or British) deem to be their fundamental and basic law. Constitutions can be amazing things; South Africa's (quite recent) constitution is often cited as something of a world model.

• So, all the laws passed in parliament are part of the constitution, or they do not have a constitution but simply laws passed by parliament.

• The question of what is and is not a part of the English Constitution in still debated and contentious. The answer seriously depends on whom you ask. But the general conception of "Constitution" is the body of English law currently in force, together with other acts of the Parliament and judiciary.

What Constitution means is essentially "Basic Law." Most countries make explicit what their Basic Law is by collecting it in a single Constitution. This is convenient.

The issue is complicated because the UK Constitution has been formed gradually and incrementally over time ever since the agreement of the Magna Carta in the thirteenth century. Only recently has a suggestion been made that some but not all of the acts of Parliament are special, and "constitutional," in nature. No single book could contain everything which can reasonably be regarded as part of the Constitution.

• We do have a mostly-written constitution. It's just not codified. But, as for why it is not codified, it's because our constitution has been formed through evolution not revolution.

• Good answer as well. What does codified mean. I mean I know it means written into codes, but again what do codes mean? Or how is written code different than something which is just written?

• 'Codified' jusy means written into one single document.

• Lol because the are not a democracy.

• What are they then?

• Sounds a bit complicated, I guess I have to look it up for myself. I think I much prefer the U. S kind of thinking. More straight forward and simply yet to the point. You know what I don't like about the U. S system, its the measurement system. I think the U. S should abide with SI units, kg not pounds, meters and kilometers not inches and miles.

• Lol so true and remember a lot of the US constitution did come from British law.

• The Magna Carta is enough for us, thanks.

• I don't know what that is, but regardless of what that might be, considering the fact that almost every nation has a written constitution and you don't, I would tend to think that it's you who need to make a change for the better not the other way round. In addition, to my mind it sounds good that a country has a written constitution.

• Whatever you say lol