How do you define "nerd"?

I have been called a nerd many times my life, but what does that really mean? In school I always got straigt As, but I didn't even study for them, hell I didn't even do homework, so it can't be about learning all day long or something like that...
Then again I spent way to much time in front of a computer, now studying CS, if that helps.
Opinions please?

Most Helpful Girl

• A persone that likes to read, doesn't like to be in a big crowed, stays home in Friday nights, mostly wears glasses, is shy, I hope you understand what I mean. ☺

What Guys Said 6

• Bullshit answers so far.
    A nerd is not defined from shyness, glasses and staying at home. All those are stupid stereotypes of 80's comedies.
    It's how you deal with your hobbies, job or other activities.
    An armchair coach who can tell you about all goals of his favourite team's championship in 1985 is as nerdy as a Trekkie who can tell you in which episode Spock moved his left eye brow instead of the right.
    It's not the hobby that makes you a nerd but the way you're dealing with it.
    Or maybe car lovers who find it normal to cover their car with hundreds of stickers.

• Glasses and shyness do play a part in it, I know personally. When you are shy and wear glasses people will call you that 💁

• they will call you that even though they have no idea. They call me that too and I have no glasses and am not shy. All these people are nerds with their hobbies as well and don't want to realise it. Especially those armchair coaches who wear their team's T shirt on a daily basis. NEEEEEERDS! At least I wear my star wars uniform when Im at conventions. Not every day when Im going to work.

• You're a nerd if you lack charisma. I did well in school and went on to first become a software developer and then later a scientist. No one ever called me a nerd and I never had trouble with women. It has nothing to do with intelligence. It's a derogatory term for someone that lacks social skills and generally acts as a doormat. If you let people treat you like a whipping boy and bully you, it will just compound over time. There are a lot of people with socialization issues and inferiority complexes that need to try and drag people down into the mud with them. If they can get to you they will repeat those actions and they will label you.

• someone who is super obsessed with a hobby to where they act as if they are part of that hobby 100% (EG video games). A nerd is someone who can't accept if someone dislikes a hobby. (EG attack for not like Nintendo).

A Nerd is someone who doesn't think there is anything better than what their doing. (EG playing magic cards 24/7).

• I actually have no clue.

• somebody who has more analytical interests.

• Definition of nerd = YOU

What Girls Said 5

• Nerd: A person who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or complicated for most other people to be bothered with. One whose IQ exceeds his weight.

Basically people are prejudice and label a stereotype on a person after knowing about a few things in High School. Grades, look and social capability.
    Honestly, if you were shy or looked rather shy and had good grades, you get that label. But it's not really a bad thing being called a nerd because it more of a compliment than insult. They practically call you an intelligent person :)

• They make out with the computer too much.

• Glasses, being quiet, how your vibe comes across. Having a cute charm. Eh depends.

• I just call them when I see one and I can't really describe it

• Nerd-someone who is into studying and reading a lot of comic books