GAGers: If you can master any one form of martial arts, which would it be and why?

Also, are you currently studying martial arts? If so, which one and what would you describe your level of expertise as?

I'm asking this because I've been wanting to learn mixed martial arts for years (the only experience with martial arts I have is wrestling), and today I had the awesome luck of meeting a professional MMA fighter at my town's laundromat who is about to open up his own school (He was originally an instructor at the Orlando BJJ and Mejiro Gym but was let go because he had broken his left arm during a tournament). We exchanged numbers and he's going to let me know when he starts, and I'm really excited about it :D

But yeah that experience today made me think to ask this lol

• Boxing
  • Karate
  • Kung Fu
  • Judo
  • Muay Thai
  • Jiu-Jitsu
  • Other
For me, the martial art I would love to learn more than anything is Wing Chun.

Most Helpful Guy

• Kung fu. Internal styles, bagua and taiji are my main interests. Some of which is displayed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovHhqQobH4

Realistically I'm a beginner, given the level of depth involved. Some might be surprised by the amount of power I can generate though...

What Girls Said 7

• Wing Tsun, it's so cool. 😱

• Aikido seems really useful, especially since I'm not as big or fast as most guys. Also, whatever that Filipino fighting style was that Jason Bourne used in the trilogy.

• I chose Muy Thai because I've been doing freestyle kickboxing for about two years.

• I learned TaeKwonDo, until the red belt. Then I stopped.

• You need Taekwondo

• I'm on a quest to master Systema.

• I think I would like to learn Karv Maga.

• Krav Maga isn't a martial art

• Thanks for info. :)

• You're welcome :)

What Guys Said 14

• I used to study Ninjutsu and being a master of that would be great. It's very complicated, and I haven't done it in more than 6 years now, though. It did not feel like 6 years, that's the weird part.

• Whatever those shaolin monks do!
    i heard they can break bricks with their hands and absorb blows
    also i heard their skin is as strong as steel and they can stop a blade with their hands!

not to mention some could kill tigers

• Capoeira :D

• I have been studying for 38 years, many different forms with many different instructors. I never mastered any but kind of made my own way. I don't have a favorite form but prefer Chinese styles especially soft forms.

• Kung fu hell yeah 😆

• Jiu-Jitsu Royce Gracie proved that it UFC 1 before UFC was bought by Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White. Nobody knew Jiu-jitsu and when it went to the ground Royce would make them tap Ken Shamrock who knew just barely a bit of Jiu-jitsu made it to the finals with Royce Gracie.

• I think Jiu-Jitsu looks the coolest

• I've done muay thai before and that was awesome.

• Either Kung Fu, or maybe Ninjutsu... perhaps Aikido...

• Krav Maga seems cool. Probably Taekwondo though because Korea xD.

A friend from my old school is TKD national champ though so I could learn from her

• Krav Maga isn't a martial art. But yeah Taekwondo is really good to learn!

• I'd pick Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Muay Thai is a close second though.

• Just tai chi. :3

• taekwondo... also boxing is not martial arts...

• Boxing actually is a martial art. Just because it didn't come from Asia doesn't mean that it isn't a martial art.

• 功夫 I guess...