How do you define the religion (it IS a religion) atheism?

I am asking your pure opinion of what it means/the beliefs and any other thoughts you have on the subject.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hello whatosticky,
    Atheism isn't a religion; instead, it is the lack of belief or disbelief in the existence of God (s). True atheists do not claim that God does not exist; that is a common misconception. "Lack of belief in God" and "disbelief in God" are words and/or phrases that fail to be synonymous with "God does not exist."
    Furthermore, I myself identify with agnosticism; the view that the truth values of certain claims, especially metaphysical and religious claims such as whether or not God, the divine or the supernatural exist, are unknown and perhaps unknowable. I firmly believe that any knowledge relating to the supernatural or metaphysical is simply beyond our comprehension. Humans are, presently so, very limited creatures who lack the capability to become acquaint with the supernatural/metaphysical realm.

Regardless, even if a superior being were to be extant, I am almost certain that He (or She) fails to be worshipped by any present religious institution.

• well, Cutesy, I am fully in an agreement about the definitions. however, really a religion is misconceived as needing a supernatural power to believe in. what it really does boil down to though is that a religion really is just a group of people who mutually agree in the same basic beliefs (I've done research) so the lack of believe in a "god" is actually agreed upon by many, making it a religion. just as is agnosticism and even satanism. we're all religious, just not in the way that society has taught us it is.

• "3.
      the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:"

This particular definition in itself contradicts your claims of atheism existing as a religion. Atheists fall
      short of adhering to a particular set of beliefs; on the contrary, atheism itself is a lack of belief or disbelief in the existence of God (s).

be·lief
      bəˈlēf/
      noun
      1.
      an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
      2.
      trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.

• see your second definition: trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something. something is the non-belief in a supernatural power. or something could be a sport. or dedication to public service. perhaps religion is misrepresented on dictionary. com so you may want to check with them. there's not contradiction. just continual disagreement of each other's opinions. we have to agree to disagree. that's it plain and simple.

What Girls Said 1

• well atheism by definition is lack of religion. i think it's more to do with the mind, the self and just one's own interpretation of the world.

i have heaps of atheist friends and some r just basic good human beings, but there r some who make religion out to be the most ridiculous thing.

if i can accept ur lack of religion, then who the hell do u think u r not to give me that same respect in return?

^^ that's how i feel about some atheists who r just up on this high horse. all the freakin time.

What Guys Said 8

• They see it as a group, but whether they like it or not it is slowly turning into a religion it seems. Regardless of what it is or what it will turn into, doesn't make a difference to me. "Most" atheists I've known are pricks who think they are better then everyone else, and they make religion out to be something horrible, awful, which it isn't.

I define it as simply what it is, a group of people, some simple minded people, some blood thirsty fanatics ones who would see those that practice religion killed, others are just followers and some actually devote themselves to the ancient practice.

• Atheism is not a religion, it's a lack of belief.
    Claiming that atheism is a religion is like claiming that not-swimming is a sport or not-reading is a hobby.

• Atheism is a lack of belief in any Gods. It's not a religion as such, but can be treated like one in topics of discussion. There isn't anything else associated with atheism and it also doesn't mean too much aside from it's unlikely for an atheist to believe in many religions (especially to a fundamentalist degree) that include a God.

• Atheism is not a religion, stop saying it is. Atheism is lack of religion.

To call Atheism a religion, is to strip the word "religious" of its meaning. Literally everyone would be "religious" if Atheism was a religion.

Atheism is simply lack of belief in a God or deity. Nothing more than that. It's as much of a religion as "not golfing" is a hobby.

• Atheism. A-theism. As in no god. It's not a religion. It's a lack of religion.

• It comes from Greek... a (without) + theism (religious belief). Re-post and we'll chat.

• personally i believe atheism is just people being abstain to religion, and i have no issue with athiests.

• I hate pagans and want to put them to the sword