Why do people view the marines as better than the army when its the army that fights the brunt of our wars?

Every major war the united states has won has been won by the army. Even the pacific fron during w2 was mostely won using army soldiers. Like more than half of all the soldiers during the battle of okinawa were army. During iraq and afghanistan, most of the troops were army. Evenwhen they first invaded those two countries, army captured bagdad and actually helped marines. In afghanistan most of it was captured and is being occupied by army soldiers not marines. Where does all this marines are better than soldierscome from.

Most Helpful Guy

• Aren't they all on the same 'TEAM'? The Marines are usually the first in, and the last out, in most conflicts. They guard our embassies and ambassadors, abroad.
    I think that those that volunteer to be Marines are volunteering to go, wherever they are needed, whenever, and do whatever needs to be done, for our Freedom, for our Nation.
    From what I remember, from History class, the Marines are the first in, fighting for the foothold, so the Army can follow, and bring in the heavy gear!
    I guess the bottom line is, ALL our Armed Forces are a United Team, and work together, to protect our Freedoms!

What Girls Said 4

• Branch rivalry would be my guess. As members of the military, many of us naturally just see our own branch as being the best when in reality, we all have the same purpose and the same mission which is national defense. I wouldn't pay any attention to any of it.

For what it's worth, I've been out at sea with embarked marine units when I was in the Navy and for the most part they're cool people however some of them tend to be arrogant (i. e. personally condescending to me because I'm a sailor and not a marine when it's my equipment that you're riding on). My guess is that maybe the marines you encountered may have been some of the arrogant ones.

• Not that I agree with it nor do I have much of an opinion on this kind of stuff, but I was told by my brother in law that anyone and everyone can join the Army but to join the Marines is much harder due to the fact that they make you take a series of tests.

• That's not true, the army also requires tests and not everyone is qualified to serve.

• Everyone has to take tests to enter the armed forces. Every branch has waivers though for people qho dont pass some things. Besides, its the air force that ia the hardest branch to join.

• I don't know... I'm just passing on what my brother-in-law mentioned to me once. I could be easily misunderstanding his words.

• As someone who was constantly exposed to different branches growing up I have witnessed the stigma first hand. The Marines are considered the more intellegent group. The army/infantry and marines both fight on the ground, but marines have a reputation of being a harder branch to join. Although there are opportunities throughout the branches for all passing asvab scores

• people have their preferences. the army has seriously weakened since Obama turned things upside down. but I still prefer the army just because almost all the guys in my family have served most of them in the army

What Guys Said 8

• Marines go first then when they get a good foot in the army comes marine training is tougher and they usually get worse headquarters

• Actually the first people are always special forces. Then its troops like airborne or rangers who are a part of the army. The marines are ambivioua infantry, ao they are experts in taking beacheads.

• Because marines fight dragons with swords haven't you seen the commercial duhh.

• yeah but with support. dont correct me on this either because i will grill you on every aspect, so you better correct your post

• So marines dont get support lol. Who drives the big boats they are stationed on, marines haha. Why is it that when the arm captured falujah the marines lost it.

• navywho else marines support. ok

• Air force also helps marines. I kow that the marines have there own planes but i also pretty sure that the air force helpa them.

• Marines have the most intense training :o

• marine seems cooler maybe

• I think because marines go every where, land and sea. also I heard their training is tougher

• Because it's 20x harder to become a marine! More stress in boot camp. Also army does not do the brunt. We (yes I'm a marine) go in first and kick some ass and then army comes in.

• F*ck that. The government's got money for wars but none for the poor. Its bullsh*t