Do you think college sells dreams?

College does not promise a good job most of the time. College is just to learn and get your degree. However, I see college as a big business. Most people know going into college they will have big loans to pay back. When I ask them if they were to drop out, how are they going to pay their loans. Their only answer is that loans or not, college is good.

From what I have heard from other people college has a lot of benifits. You can find a nice guy (since when did college becomg Match. com?), smart people, etc. Nothing that really interests me.

I do not think college automatically makes you smarter than people who go. College is not bad or good to me. It is just seems boring...

Most Helpful Guy

• I think colleges are a business just like anything else, to make a profit. So in a sense, they are selling dreams. I think it is the students responsibility to pick a course that will net them a career afterwards. I think a lot of students make the mistake of picking courses simply because they are fun, trendy, popular or simply because their friends are doing it. They do not do any research at all into the career field to see if there is any demand. Colleges do not care at all if there is no careers for that subject, as long as they sell out classrooms, they will continue to provide the course. Just because they offer a course and a degree doesn't not guarantee employment either.

What Guys Said 3

• I've seen this video before here on GAG. So I want to share it too :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T24DPU-hkJM

• The degrees are a requirement for a lot of professions. But certain college degrees are much better than others. A STEM degree holder has a much better chance of getting a degree than someone with say a political science degree.

• A lot of people just go to college to continue to party and put off getting a job but they get their's eventually. But it does help with careers and learning just for the sake of learning is a good thing.

What Girls Said 3

• College is still very important for most professional careers. Engineering, law, medicine, sciences, accounting, programmers, economists, etc... you can't just walk into a office one day and magically know all these things without formal education. I'm at college and love it. It's a great experience for me and I have the opportunity to prepare for my career someday. So even though it's a business it's a pretty damn important one because it's providing vital careers for society.

• College is very important, it's the key to a lot of careers. There are many things other than college that lead to success, but still that doesn't lower the importance of college.

• well college isn't for everyone