Do y'all like stories where the main characters die?

If you are a GoT fan, you have probably recently felt this pain. I won't say any names just to avoid spoiling it.
But in any story, not just GoT, do you think it improves or hurts the story? One of my friends makes very some very hateful comments toward authors who write this way, calling it a cop-out but I don't know, I kind of like it because it keeps me guessing on who will live or die. Just wondering what you guys think about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• so i heard jon snow died, i guess he died without knowing shit

What Guys Said 3

• I like it. I grew up in the 90's where the good guy always won and the main character always married the girl next door. Eventually everything was basically the same story and you knew what was going to happen and who was going to do what with 10 minutes of starting a new show or movie. This kind livens it up and makes it less predictable. I also think it opens up more options for the writers since now they don't need to make sure every popular character gets out alive.

• It depends on how much I like the main character. I do like how it keeps me guessing though. If the main character can die then anyone can die. I hate the main character can't die cliche...

• I do
    A lot of movies or series that I like have a character die that I actually... Didn't want to die
    Take for example Snape from Harry Potter

What Girls Said 2

• I mean, sometimes it's necessary for the development of the plot. I have, however, encountered many stories where there were gratuitous main character deaths and it ruined the whole thing for me.

• no they bust my bubble and i don't like thing that burst my bubble