Is it weird for a girl to like metal and alternative rock?

I've been called a freak amny times because I like to listen to alternative rock, screamo, and metal music (Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, MCR, Black Veil Brides, Get Scared, etc.) since most girls my age listen to Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, 1D etc. I don't have a bunch of piercings or dress like I'm emo or goth or whatever I just like the music so can someone explain to me why that makes me a freak?

Most Helpful Guy

• If by weird you mean "different than normal" than I'd say yes it is weird.
    But, there are plenty of emo/punk girls who listen to what you listed.
    So yeah if you listen to that but you're not emo, then you're technically weird.

Try looking for a girl who likes classic heavy metal and thrash metal.

What Guys Said 7

• weird? no actually i know tons of gals who r into those genres

• 25 years ago, I had a girlfriend who would be the love of my life. she was gorgeous, intelligent, and very special. the coolest part about her was that she loved heavy metal. she broke my heart and it still hurts over 23 years later.

• I've been to quite a few metal concerts and it always was a mixture of dudes and gals. It's not weird at all, it's just less accepted by mainstream culture. Don't let the Lady Gaga fans bring you down for liking something they don't. :)

So in my book, you're awesome.

• That's awesome if she doesn't look down on people who like other music. I love hard rock and metal, I also like other genres

• No I know quite a few girls who love these bands and would rather die than have to listen to Justin Butface I mean Bieber etc. It also doesn't make you a freak it makes you a person who likes that kind of music.

• No, I'm a black guy that likes rock and roll as well as hip hop.

• Nope. It just makes you different. ... And by the way, good on ya for not liking those "Music artists". They're just... Ugh.

What Girls Said 6

• Lol. Why would that be weird? You like what you like... And those people are fucking stupid for calling you names for something that you can't help liking.

I wish they realize how retarded they were being. You are not a freak. You're a normal person who likes what you like.

• No you can like whatever you want. Three Days Grace is awesome.

• Yea I'm sure I used to be in a phase through high school that I loved the scene emo click

• The people listening to JB, Taylor Swift and 1D are the real freaks.

• I have nothing against people who listen to those artists I don't hate Taylor Swift but I prefer rock. I just don't enjoy being called names and having people tell me that what I listen to isn't real music. I respect their music taste I don't understand why they can't respect mine

• I wasn't being serious really, more so just mocking those who call you a freak. Lol regardless, who cares what other people think about your music taste. It's your own taste and you shouldn't feel bad for it lol ignore them.

• Ignore the freaks. They're the real freaks, not you

• Nope. I listen to mostly alternative/indie rock.