Do you think Destiny is a good thing or a bad thing?

It's odd, I believe in Destiny and things that are meant to be but at the same time it makes me sad. When I hear the phrases "if it's meant to be, it will happen" or " I guess it just wasn't meant to be" and etc etc, it leaves me thinking how depressing that is. I do believe that everyone is meant for something or someone but when you really stop to think about it, Destiny kind of sucks.

That means, you can want something or someone and feel in your heart it's right but if it's not your Destined plan, it just won't happen. Which means, it doesn't matter what we want or need. What matters, is what's meant to be and if it's not apart of your Destiny it won't happen. What we wanted, isn't what was meant to be. I find that depressing.

Or, what about all the people that get sick every year and pass away from illnesses. That includes young kids, I'm suppose to believe that a little baby was born into this world only to leave it two seconds later. Somehow that was Destined, how is that right?

Or, the September 11th attacks, I'm suppose to believe that all those innocent people were meant to die that day?
That was somehow part of the worlds grand design, how does that make sense?

So, many things happen everyday and it's hard to know if Destiny is a good thing or a bad thing? Is it something to take joy in and be excited about or is it something to fear? What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Life is more likely more closely related to determinism than destiny. They are similar, but different enough. Destiny basically states something will happen regardless what happens before it. Determinism basically states something happens because of past events that occurred. That something might not happen if the past events played out differently.

Destiny is like saying you will die no matter how your life plays out. We are all destined to die. But we aren't destined to die a certain way; we are determined to die the way our past predicts us to. We are still determined to die because of biology, etc; but I wanted to clarify concepts. If our biology was different we may not die, so we still are determined based off our past. Hopefully that makes sense.

I think the misconception of whether events that happen are either good or bad is, we think of everything in relation to ourselves. We have a hard time understanding anything outside our own mind, it might be impossible to do so; I have no certainty of that though.

We don't know all the results of 9/11 happening or not, or babies dying or not. 1000 years from now we may see how 9/11 happening caused a greater peace. We may be able to see life playing out both 9/11 happening and not happening.

In the end it depends on what is considered good or bad. Is it good/bad for 1000s to die so billions can live more peacefully? Is it good/bad to let 1000s live so it takes longer for billions to live more peacefully? Maybe babies die so we can figure out the best way make them not die.

Nature doesn't care about our personal views on morals. Things will happen based on things that come before it. It all depends on how sad you want to feel one day, and how happy you want to feel the next. We're not special because we're happy, we're special because we're alive.

Fear, joy, sadness, etc are all good things. So we should be excited and fearful of things to come. They help us prepare for the future. Without it we would most likely already be extinct. There is no bad/evil in life, only things we need to overcome.

Hopefully that made sense and helped. Sorry if it didn't. Hopefully you find the answer you're looking for.

What Guys Said 6

• If everything is predictable there would be no joy in life. The bible said that you have choices and up and till the last moment of life, you can choose him. A man can choose to care for his wife and children or to cheat. Look back in time, cheating was once a crime punished by death. Remove the penalty there are more choices.

• Don't worry about it. The Adjustment Bureau is in charge following The Chairman's plan.
    https://youtu.be/rKhvl2MjO9E

• Destiny is benign. Many people spend their lives ruining toward it, and some spend theirs ruining from it.

• there's no such thing as fate.

• Mortal kombat teaches us that we create our own destiny, we take credit for what we do, or well, at least we should be, blame is never put on someone else

• Destiny is Bullshit. It's an excuse lazy people fabricate to avoid setting goals and doing work to achieve them. Destiny isn't real.

• That is naïve GOP dogma. Hard work and setting goals are no guarantee of success. Warren Buffet explains...
      www.bloomberg.com/.../buffett-says-wildly-capricious-economy-inspires-his-charitable-activity
      Buffett’s letter echoed comments he has made emphasizing the role of luck in amassing his fortune.
      “My wealth has come from a combination of living in America, some lucky genes, and compound interest,” he wrote. “Both my children and I won what I call the ovarian lottery. (For starters, the odds against my 1930 birth taking place in the U. S. were at least 30 to 1. My being male and white also removed huge obstacles that a majority of Americans then faced.)”

• It isn't dogma. You can't manage what you don't measure. Goals are rulers, they are for measuring. Saying otherwise is just excuse making.

If a person isn't achieving goals, then they are not breaking down their vision into enough realistic steps.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's a good thing :)

• I don't believe in fairy tales, but I suppose it's a good thing

• My name is Destiny. It's HELL.