Have you ever told someone you had a boyfriend/girlfriend when you didn't?

I was watching a social experiment and the person told one they didn't have one ten minutes later said they did to someone else. So have you used that line?

I can honestly say I've never done that.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 26

• Nopes I've never done that though when someone is really persistent it really helps cause there are those who believe that if someone's single then they have all the right to pursue lol

But for girls it's ok for them to say they are in a relationship etc cause it' makes it easier on them in certain cases :)

You're are brave girl there :) <3

• Yes I have said that to try and put a person off.

• No I haven't, I like to be honest.

• Women use it so much that its one of the first "challenges" that are spoken about in pick up artist groups. its an expected hurdle.

• I told them i used to have one when i didn't.
    Better to tell a small lie then to get bullied for 4 years.

• I haven't... but I know girls do it all the time, to avoid having to reject a guy's advances.

• Nope can't say I have.

• Yes, I didn't like the look of them so I didn't wanna give 'em my number. Nobody loses face if you just say you're taken.

• No, never. I can barely count the times that has ever happened with one hand.

• so you'd be honest?

• Why would I not? It's surprised me when I said I never had a girlfriend before and the girl laughed. I think she... "they" really, thought I was joking.

• I'd be honest to.

• Sometimes as a joke

• Yes many times

• i say some times when my friends keep asking name of my girlfriend
    i say i dont have (truth)
    but yet they insist to take a name

• No, never. Then again, up until last year I had never had one.

• Yes. For their own good.

• yeah. Its either i curve tf out these hoes or i let them down easy and tell em i got a main bitch

• it's good to be honest but sometimes you have to do this to avoid some one who's interested in having a relationship with you but you don't want to be involved and you don't want the person to question you...

• yes, girls nag guys too

• I haven't done that

• No one comes up to me in order to use the I have a girlfriend line. :-(:-(

• I don't know why I'd ever lie to a girl about my relationship status specially when i'm single ;p

• No I haven't. I see no positional advantage in this lie.

• I have never done that tbh

• I think once when I wanted to see if it made a difference. Didn't really seem to ;) Lmfao

• Girls usually do this more than guys do for obvious reasons

• Yeah I went on a cruise with two of my friends two years ago and they managed to get sex from two girls. They sent this girl to me but I just didn't feel ready yet so I lied

• thats how i passed my college years.

What Girls Said 33

• I've kind of... lied by omission? Guy 1 liked me, but never confessed. I started dating Guy 2. Guy 1 got suuuuuper upset about it, and said he couldn't move on and he was going to wait until I'm single again. Guy 2 and I broke up a few months ago and I've made no mention of it because I really don't want Guy 1 to get his hopes up.

I feel like that sounds mean, and normally I'd be totally honest, but... the way he deals with rejection (there's a lot more to the story as well) is a little concerning. I think it might be easier for both of us if he just doesn't know I'm single, I don't know.

I feel like that sounds awful. I'm just doing what I think is best, given the situation. >.<

• I'm basically doing so right now on here on my profile's relationship status xD
    I've done it irl too several times before, though.
    And friends have even said it for me. This past school year, I asked one of my friends to tell this guy that I was engaged to someone and that I already had the names of our future children planned and shit. It was hilarious. He probably didn't even believe it but at least he finally got the hint. I didn't feel bad because the guy didn't stop bothering me when I wasn't even interested.
    Anyway, I've found that in other situations this is the most practical way to politely turn someone down even though it might not always work. Some guys are persistent as hell.

• Other people tell that always to people if they want to protect me. Like I go out with friends and a creep comes at me and he/she tells him I got a boyfriend before I can even answer. I appreciate the gesture, but I don't like to lie. However it's much more effective than saying you're just not interested.

• 3|1
  • Yeah I have. A few times actually, because they wouldn't stop bothering me even after I've told them I'm not interested.

• A mormon came to my house and asked me to talk to him but i said no so he asked me for m number so we could "talk about the holy spirit sometime"
    i told him i had a boyfriend but it wasn't true. people are creeps so its necessary to lie. lolol

• Good move. This Mormon woman approached me, and I thought she was into me. Ended up wasting a lot of time with them attempting to convert me.

The thing is, that guy was probably genuine. They don't even have their own phones. Every time I would message that woman, she would answer for several people.

I think the only way of hooking up with one is going all-in with regards to JC.

• Nh he had a phone of his own and a phone he shared with his "people" eh
      no thanks not for me.

• yes i have to because im really small and its very easy t intimadate me.. it helps t get away from the situation quiker thansayin no i dont like ya please leave me alone.
    Yday in fact i was sittin @ the bus stop n a pervert tht has always stopped everytime i see him. i just said ima single mom tht has no time for it. Which is soo true. He finally got it

• I've done it countless times but the reason why I stopped is because sadly, it does not make a difference lol. A lot of guys that approach me don't care if I'm in a relationship. It's still hard to reject a guy either way if you tell them you are not interested or that you have a boyfriend they want an explanation or try to be your "friend". I don't owe you anything, go away!

• No I haven't.
    Now that I'm not single, I think people think I use it as an excuse when it's really not.

• I have because sometimes guys won't take the hint you aren't interested. I've also had it when the guy will say "So he doesn't have to know."

• Yeah, once in high school a guy kept pursuing me, even after I told him I didn't like him, so I told him I had a boyfriend and he stopped.

• hmm.. i did..

• Nah, I just be honest.

• Yes to avoid further contact. He kept flirting.

• yes i was trying to make him stop bothering me it didn't work

• oh yes! when the girls and I go out for girly night and don't want guys hassling us, that is the line we use! and it works well.. :))

• Yeah, But it wasn't me who said I had one. You see I always had fun with my cousin and no one in my class knew that he was my cousin so rumor started to go through people that we both are dating, one day my classmate finally asked me about it. Well you could yourself imagine how funny the whole scenario was to us. People said that I had a 'boyfriend' while I said didn't.

• I have, to guys who would stop bothering me even after i told them im not interested

• Yes I have. Didn't help much lol. He still wanted my number.

• I did it once to get some 40 year old guy to stop messaging me on here

• I can honestly say... YES, some guys just don't get the message so I use the "I have a boyfriend" line, what makes it believable was that my friend actually pretends to be my boyfriend to back me up and vice versa

• Yes, especially when someone I don't like is hitting one me lol

• I have. I didn't want to say it, but there's always a few guys that won't understand what "I'm not interested" means. There's even one time when I had to ask my friend to "pretend" to be my boyfriend because he didn't believe me.

• usually as an excuse to let someone down easy when a guy asks me out

• yeah i do it when there's a guy hitting one me and it's annoying and i want him to stop

• Never did that myself

• yup, just to avoid some guys who want to approach me whenever I'm not interested

• No. I don't lie about things like that.

• Yea. Because I thought I would be a cool 6th grader

• Yeah I have. Once so I wouldn't have to reject someone who liked me and also so everyone wouldn't think I was a total loser 😭😭😭😭😭

• More from Girls
    3