Is it worth it go use financial aid and get a masters in psychology?

Student loans I mean!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• An LCPC (Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor) bills at about $70-$90 per hour in private practice. The problem is getting paid. Managed care companies---the gate keepers for insurers---make it hell to get your receivables. You will spend as much time collecting your money as you did earning it.

In the end, you will spend 40 hours per week listening to dysfunctional people say things like "I hate my life; I want to kill myself," and then you will try to talk them through it---all for about $20-$30 per hour, since you only get 80% of "usual and customary fees."

Social work is even worse. Most people working for the county or state make less than $40,000.

If you are really set on this career path, one of the best niches is Employee Assistance Programs (EPA). These are departments in larger companies that deal with employee issues as they pertain to work. Your typical client will be dealing with an addiction or grief over loss, maybe a child who is truant. Any of these could cause the person to be ineffective at work or absentee.

Since companies have money to spend and labor is an important production asset, EPA jobs pay pretty well.

What Guys Said 5

• No way of knowing from what you said. It will cost you a lot of money and time. Is that worth it? Depends on what you will do with that education and you do not say that. Just having a degree of some sort may help land a job, But will it be a job you like? Will it earn you money to pay back the loans? Lots of questions here.

• Depends on your goals. If it's MS in psych or nothing, then yes, it's worth it. There aren't many career options for someone holding only a BS in psychology. But if you're comparing graduate paths, there may be other paths to consider, like perhaps getting an MBA, or applying to program like nursing that might require some additional undergrad coursework.

• Well if you get financial aid, you wont' be paying for it so why not? Opportunity cost?

• That field is iffy but you can take a chance

• Where I live... That's a maybe. To really get jobs as a psychologist here typically requires a PhD. Are you PhD track? Are there combined masters/PhD progrsms you could enter?

What Girls Said 2

• Is psychology a lucerative enough field to warrent spending all that money on a masters?

• i'm planning on doing my masters in psychology, it will be a rewarding job, and will be able to pay off the loans