Are Germans well known to be stingy and tight about their money?

Most Helpful Guy

• As a nation, yes.
    It is mostly untrue though. I heard that many Germans think that only applies to certain parts of Germany.

It comes from a national reputation for austerity which is emphasized by the fact that they have continuously prevented European countries from trying to heavily spend and invest their way out of the current recession. Instead opting for austerity. This has annoyed plenty of people (especially in Greece).

I think it comes from a national fear about the hyper inflation of the 30s and certain national and cultural traditions (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_virtues)

Individually, I'm sure it's not true like most other stereotypes. I'm Irish and I never drink, I'm not ginger and I don't dress head to toe in green.

• Then they do have a good reason to watch their savings?

• Are they too lax on tax collection?

What Guys Said 10

• Well there is about 81 million people living in Germany so I would say you can't really generalise them like that. Some maybe like that but I am sure there are many that are not like that to. There are people like this and people that are not like this in all countries.

• I've never heard this one before.
    I always heard it was Jewish people who were who like that

• Well, I don't spend any change I get, I save it up.
    When I was still in high school, my parents would give me 5€ every day to buy lunch, and I'd spend it so that I'd get change back. 1€ or 2€ coins preferably ^^

I made almost 700€ this way and didn't give it back ^^

• I take it your parents are good parents for not spoiling you with extra money.

• Speaking from my personal experience, this would fit more to Swiss (and perhaps Austrian) people than to Germans.

• Who's more approachable? Swiss or Germans? I hear Austrians are not very social.

• Well... all three of us are rather stiff and reserved but if I had to choose between Swiss and Germans I would say Germans are more approachable. Especially for women. I have many German friends because so many German people have moved to Switzerland in the past 10-15 years. But within Germany there are also big differences. People in the south tend to be more reserved and private. The more north you go, the more out-going they become.

• They are careful rather than stingy

• Yes, I can see why they are one of the countries that isn't run down financially and their culture might speak for the way it is too. It's not perfect but they do have their good points.

• Last time i checked, I didn't really care for money ;) I think most Germans aren't. It's a personal trait not a German trait.

• Yes, it was as a result of WWI, Germans seem to only get their needs and they rarely seem to get things just because they want it.

• Are you talking about the older people or the younger ones?

• Everyone in Europe is trying to scrounge off them, they have reasons to be.

• i believe you're thinking about the WW2 opposites of germans

• no, but stereotyeps are stingy.

What Girls Said 5

• Some are, some aren't. I know Germans who go crazy when there is something for free (for example free food at a supermarket), but I also know Germans who "shower" in the most expensive champagne.

• Mmm.. I don't think so. In Italy they are known to be really strict, inflexible, hard workers, punctual...

• no. why do you think this?

• I don't think so

• Yes but it's not as bas as armenians.