Who do you think is more pushy about the perspective to the other side, Christians or atheists?

I post a lot of questions about atheism because I'm genuinely interested in their opinion. An atheist commented and said to the effect of "you really can't stop can you?" And called me a Christian troll.

So, I'm asking this question, who bashes who more, atheists or Christians?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's different.

Christians are more ignorantly pushy, atheists are more arrogantly dismissive, but I wouldn't say one or the other is more in-your-face than the other. As an atheist, I find it very annoying to have Christianity the assumed standard. The default. That's changing, rapidly as far as cultural change goes, but it's still very much assumed that you're a Christian in most parts of the United States.

In my youth, I was much more militant and confrontational about atheism vs religion, but as I've grown older, I've realized confrontation is rarely the way to change people. I still find most religion harmful to society, and my reaction to people preaching to me is sortof like the reaction you'd probably have if someone started saying they believe in George the Invisible Flying Easter Bunny and you should too, but I don't get in their face about it in the same way.

Ultimately, I think atheists would be much more kind-hearted and willing to accept Christians if they weren't standing in the way of basically all social progress. If they weren't advocating bigotry and war. If they weren't openly denying scientific understanding.

What Girls Said 4

• I think both are equally pushy. It really depends on the person. Some people just can't learn to respect others beliefs.

• In my experience, atheists

• Neither
    it's the extrimists from both parties that are pushy

• Both are equally pushy. There are extremes in both group

What Guys Said 10

• One is about proven facts and the other is about blind faith. Who do you think needs to be more pushy to get more following?

• 0|2
    • You mad cause I don't respond to your opinions?

• I'm not sure why you re wrote that, but thanks again I guess.

• Atheists tend to be a little more dismissive of Christians (or probably any religion), but there aren't many "pushy" atheists. If you classify evangelical Christians as pushy I would have to differ with your assessment because spreading their belief is PART of the belief.

• "spreading their belief is PART of the belief."

Nuff said.

• I'm not sure why it matters how common those examples are though. They should still be added to the count if it is agreed they are considered pushy. Or can you explain why it matters how often an example happens, given the topic.

The reason I mentioned the public format was you said, "In fact, by that definition even the tiniest amount if talking about it could be considered pushy (I think that would be an unfair characterization in the real world)." I was just clarifying how jacquesvol's examples could be on topic given the definition. Unless we have a counsel declaring what is and isn't pushy, a person can interpret just stating one's mind as pushy, and adding it to the count. If one person can add something like that to their count, anyone should be able to add something else to theirs. Given they can explain how it is pushy towards them. Assuming this is why you mentioned the part you strongly disagree with.

• Offense wouldn't necessarily add into pushiness to me either, or one stating their mind. Like you said, it's too hard to judge what is offensive on an individual basis. But some people could add it to their personal or their groups count.

In the end it's kind of an unanswerable question, or a too complex one to understand. You have a few quotes that give the best possible answer. I won't list them all, but this one may sum it up best, "when you look at the universe through the lens of each worldview, both sides seem about the same."

Sorry if I sounded disrespectful with anything I said; that was not the intent. And thanks for the reply.

• If an Atheist is in your face about religion, s/he knows that s/he is doing it. A Christian can also knowingly get in your face about religion, but they also do it very frequently without even really intending to cause offense. As an atheist, I rarely get into religion at all unless someone is already pushing theirs in my face and as I mentioned it isn't always intentional or obvious to them. Christians also often times feel a sense of superiority about their religion, which I find to be distasteful.

From my own experience I'd say Christians by far. To be fair though, I don't know a ton of people who are atheists but that may be because we don't really generally bring up religion.

• Probably equal. I think Christians are more passionate about what they believe. So they might get more worked up by it.

• I think the extremists on both sides are as bad as each other

• Both are pretty pushy. As a Christian I try not to force my beliefs down peoples throats. It is a take or leave it.

• Who cares?
    Leave the bigoted atheists and the bigoted christians to scuffle while the rest of us get along

• I am an atheist and I never asked anyone to leave their religion but I do get pissed when others try push theirs on me.

• That will start world war 3 here.