Space exploration... should the human race bother?

So it would appear no one realy cares about exploring space anymore. Who where those guys that walked on the moon again? lol Should we just give up and concentrate on problems here on eath or does humanity need to reach for the stars?

Interesting. But lots of you seem to quote technological and economic reasons to explore space. What about emotional ones? I think we nee to be inspired by things more. We need to satisfy our need to explore and challenge ourselves. Space is one way of lifting the human race emotionally. My dad always talked about his heroes growing up like Armstrong and Young... what do I have? A bunch of over paid sports stars. I would love to have real heroes and role models to look up too.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's why the nada program got hit down a few years ago. we should care slightly because learning about space might help us learn about here but I don't think it's that huge of a deal

• Why is it you are the only female to post her opinion? Huh?

• As the only women to have the guts to answer this you deserve the MHO!

• Thank you!

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 15

• Space exploration is extremely important in my eyes. So much technology that we use daily was a direct result of space exploration (GPS, Smartphones, meteorology, laptops satellite television and etc), not to mention exploring space gives us a window on the many questions that has plagued humanity for years about our existence and whether there are others like us elsewhere.

It truly is sad that space exploration isn't given a bigger budget (It's only receive 0.5% of the U. S. A total budget) . Hell our military and welfare will receive more money in 6 months time then NASA will in the next 20-30 years, and look at how much NASA have done for us. They put man on the damn moon and gave us a butt load of technology.

• It does not have to be just NASA and the United States doing the heavy lifting. This should be a truly global exercise.

• I love space. I can't wait to see what happens with Juno, New Horizons, the James Webb space telescope. I calculated the speed-of-light delay between Earth and Mars to try to figure out when Curiosity would land instead of referencing the TV guide, for crying out loud. Our biggest problems on this front is launch costs and the supply of the plutonium isotope used in RTGs for powering deep space probes. I'd love to see a powered launch structure replace rockets one day, but there are a lot more immediate problems in the world and I don't see anyone putting up the tab and cutting through the red tape which would be involved.

• Yes, we should. Eventually, we will have to leave Earth (maybe earlier than the couple billion years until the Sun eat us up). But first, we need to defend the planet from outer space threats (meteors, solar waves that can fry all electronics) and down here problems (pollution, population growth, poverty, illness, etc).

• I assume people are more focused on nowadays problems (except from those that are detached from this world in a sense, no pun intended) rather than finding another planet where there's 1% some of your grand-grand-grand offsprings are going to live on, which you probably won't see anyway.

Which makes sense, actually: I'd rather see things improving around me RIGHT NOW, rather than thinking that MAYBE one day my grand-grand-grand-grand son will live on Mars and whatnot.

• A valid point of view. Typical of our society. We want instant gratification instead of viewing things in the long term. We have become short term thinkers.

• Russian spacecraft are the only way to get to the ISS right now.

• I can't see how fixing terrestrial problems before we go exploring is short-term thinking (not that it's even the case, plenty of exploration is going on). It's sensible thinking. A functioning planet is a far better launch pad anyway.

• Reaching for the stars creates new technologies that can solve problems on earth. For example we can thank space exploration for the microwave oven.

• Just look at the way we power probes traveling to the outer solar system. That crap will be very useful in the future. I rather have my tax dollars fund those projects than defense.

• ''So it would appear no one realy cares about exploring space anymore''

Yeah... No that's not true.

• Sure, right after we eliminate starvation, famine and war.

• Why not all at the same time as it isn't the same persons that work with those things as those that work with space.

• The point is we spending massive amounts of money that could be put to better use. That said, I am fascinated by the space program and find it inspiring.

• Mew technologies, helpful technologies, will be developed by reaching out to space. but Obama and Bush spent the money on their friends and egos.

• Agree. But the electorate can tell the leadership this is important. But I think most people do not care.

• Ummmm, we are broke and they electorate is stupid (today anyway). What will be important to the electorate is if the candidate has a V or how much melatonin they have.

• Classic. Great answer!

• earth is crap. space exploration is the only reason i want to see the human race progress technologically.

• The tablet or smart phone you are typing on is a direct result of technology developed years ago through the space program. You do the math.

• What do you think... spend $1 on space exploration and humanity gets $2 in tech spinoffs?

• When you factor in machines for medical diagnosis and the safety features you enjoy in your car and public transportation, yeah, I'd say that is a fair trade-off.

• Settle on Mars as soon as we develop the technology. (this century, most likely)

• Honestly, ESA just landed on a comet, NASA is approaching Pluto. Stop complaining.

• Who is "no one"?

• Seems like an episode of futurama.

• Children hungry, let's go to Mars. Dumb.

• Humanity using up earth's resources... having a plan B smart.

• Space exploration is not the answer to all or problems clearly but is spending money to explore and grow as a species worth it. I think it is. It is a part of the puzzle. Should we try to make our own planet a better place? Of course. But can we do both? I think we can. Globally the amount we would have to spend to explore space seriously is small compared to the amount we would still have left over to attempt to solve other issues facing humanity. It would just take global commitment. Good luck with that. Lots of governments want to starve their own people... but that is another issue all together.

• You may be correct. We have better maps of the moon than we do of our oceans. Obviously we are neglecting the problems here and yet very soon we will be in great trouble- long before an exodus to space would even be possible. Space is great but first things first, we have a huge problem at home.