Why does everyone hate on this generation's teens?

i have come across some bullshit.
if a teen likes nicki minaj or pop they're basic, punk rock would make them emo or posers, dubstep would make them stoners, classic rock or anything before their gen: "oh you're a special snowflake you think you're so unique?", country- ugly.
and this goes beyond music. there's just no winning for us, for better or for worse.

Most Helpful Guy

• this recycle will never end, it'll always rinse and repeat. but d00d you're one of the cool ones :P

What Guys Said 15

• It's not just this generation's teens. It always happens.

There are two things going on that causes it, in my opinion.

The first is simply physical biology. The prefrontal cortex doesn't finish developing until the mid- to late-20s. It's the part of the brain that controls the survival drives of the hypothalamus... and the hypothalamus doesn't always produce urges that agree with social structure, safety, and accepted morality. So there is basically a logic control centre in the brain that's only half-functional in teens, meaning their thinking patterns are totally different than anyone else in the world. It's not that people 'get old and give up to the system' or shit like that (though some do, obviously). It's simply the case that their brain finishes developing and they start thinking in logical patterns that match the rest of society. Once someone's brain has finished developing, say around 30, that person can work with, talk with, hang out with, people that are 40, 50, 60.. no big deal. There will be differences of upbringing and stuff, but the brain functions the same, they will be able to see the same things with the same data. Before that though, while the brain is changing, it's like telling a 18 year old to hang out with a 12 year old. The brain isn't functioning the same. The same data in can result in DIFFERENT data out. That's what can make teen thinking frustrating for some adults. Especially those just getting out of the teens themselves, as they suddenly see the 'new way' of thinking.

The other thing that causes it is the child-parent gap. It takes 13+ years to raise a child to be a teen. Teens will often have some similar ideas and likes as their parents, because their parents will have exposed them to certain things. They will be their own people, obviously, but there will be a core there that matches. So, given a 15 year spread, the teens now, lets say those born 2000ish are not raised by those born 1990ish, but by those born 1980ish. Those born 2000ish will have some things in common with those born 1980ish, because they'll have similar ideas as their parents. But NOT things in common with those born 1990ish, because they will have been raised by those born 1970ish. So there's a hard gap between the teens and the mid-20s that is very distinct, and very noticeable. And it causes extra 'hate', because they appear more 'different'. And different is scary.

• It happens every generation. The current generation of young people are always seen as being worse than the generation before it.

• It most likely has to do with the fact that if I look back on what I used to be like as a teen, I was a total idiot even though I thought I was the smartest among my peers. I just avoided risk, but all of us were equally dumb, some just more irresponsible.

• I dont like going with the flow myself, just like what you like and dont worry so much about those people you will find others that feel the way you do in time.

• I think no one should hate on a teen for the music they like
    that's just down right wrong , Whatever music you like i do
    respect your taste of music as well as other teens
    I'm sorry for the judgmental people out there they need
    to really clean their door step off before starting on someone
    else's.

• For the same reasons we were hated as teens. Its was the same with your parents and grandparents. This is nothing new.

• They're more annoying than other generation's teens because they have more misguided and idiotic opinions than previous generations due to being raised by a tv and computer and are more vocal about their stupid ideas due to social networking sites. They're just harder to avoid.

• The problem with teens is they are generally superficial and shallow.

The problem with many adults is they were as well when they were teens or still now.

I can only take so much complaining too. Many teens carry an entitlement attitude and while I don't want to throw everyone in that category because there are quite a few kids out there will promising futures. As for the rest of them, we'll all aboard the fuck up train because that is the only way they are going to learn anything.

• People hate on every generation's teens.

• Because people only hear about the bad in this generation through social media and news. there's is a lot of good people in this generation, but people dont hear about these people.

• let the older generation bitch and moan, we're gonna take over soon enough and they'll be begging us not to dump them in retirement homes.

• Because every generation hates on the teenagers. It's the most awkward stage of life and most of them are balls to the wall retarded but think they are brilliant.

• i guess. I don't know i can't say anything because since i'm a teen and i say anything i will get bashed.

• Now you're learning. This skill carries well into adulthood.

• i think the problem is the older generation. we talk about a lack of morals and standards, what we sometimes forget is that we're not born to have them.

• Cause teenagers scare the living shit out of them.

• Acts like a dude, not feminine, revealing clothes, being rude, ask for equality and go overboard. Sorry this won't poly to to all but to many.

What Girls Said 7

• Most of the adults I know actually like a lot of "teen" music.
    A lot of teenagers today just act really, really stupid, and immature, and have the audacity to USE their age as an EXCUSE for their idiocy. People in my parents' and grandparents' day used to be mature and responsible enough to handle having their own families in their late teens. Teens these days don't even have the sense to come out of the rain. It's pathetic.

• sounds like a blanket statement. i'm a teen and i volunteer and know my mistakes, and sometimes am proud of them. rebellion isn't just in the face of teens.
      want to know something cool? my school that allowed kids to bully me and the teachers bullied me, they still use the slogan i made up before i left the school. i don't remember quite what it was, something about pride.
      but I don't know, most of my friends are my relatives, and most of the teen hating i see is online. i'm much like my parents so its not really my relatives hating on me. or any adult for that matter.

• but like you said. "most" and i agree.

• It's definitely not about the music. It goes way beyond that. Older people know what it was like to be a teen. I was teen once. I don't ever remember acting the way that some of these teenagers today act. It's like they have this sense of recklessness. They don't care about anything. They lack respect. And it's not all of them, but it's quite a few.

• Generations before are always going to think that the current generation is terrible. You might like this post. 100kplusnotes.tumblr.com/.../poryqon-batsbatsbatsandbats-the-teen

• sounds about right

• I think in every generation there's always a bad bunch. Notice that teen pregnancy and drugs had always exsisted before this generation...

• Everyone of the previous generation hates the teens of the next one. It happens everytime

• It happens with every generation. The new generation will always be disliked by an older one. It's just because it's something new, but it's human nature to dislike change. And also somethings that this generation does is a bit stupid. I hated YOLO so much.