Why is it so bad to go to an exam with no sleep?

I'm having a major major major exam tomorrow's early morning (10am) that will decide if I get into a college course I like or if I'm stuck with another course I'm not fond of, and which probably get me to quit college altogether. I need to get 90% of the questions right and make a 300-word essay without having almost any writing mistakes.

The thing is, I suffer from insomnia when I have something important to do in the morning, which causes me to stay in bed for 2 hours just rolling from one side to the other. Besides, I'm used to go to bed at 5-6am and I don't get sleepy until then.
Now, I'm not studying anything tonight, I've already studied and learned everything that I need. The exam itself shouldn't be that hard either way. I could study tonight, but the most I will do is just look over stuff so they would be fresh in the morning, I don't have to learn them.

I've already tried to go to sleep but it's proven useless so far and I got tired of being in bed with negative thoughs flooding my head. I've tried reading, meditating, etc, but it's just too early (mid night) compared to my usual sleeping schedule. Same thing happened when I did my driving exam (went in with 3 hours of sleep, passed).

Do you think I should try to sleep at all costs or just relax and take it naturally and have a "if I go there on an all-nighter, no big deal" attitude? I mean I woke up at 2pm today, so I would take the test after 19-21 hours of being awake, it's not that big of a stretch, and certainly nothing that can't be contradicted by having 1 or 2 cups of coffee beforehand. I also don't really care about remembering anything I study today as long as I remember what I studied these last few days.

And I would hit the sack as soon as I got home from that exam

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you're not thinking properly

• Most of the questions on the exam will be around creativity and writing skills (ex. analyzing a poem and writing a text about how you feel regarding a subject) and there have been studies that prove that sleep deprivation increases creativity :p

• How'd you do?

• Not bad but not perfectly well either. Had a look at some questions and I was just thinking "What the heck are they asking?". a

However I tried to re-do the exam after a couple of good night's sleep, and I still couldn't answer those questions. I'm just grateful the exam was at 9 am because by 2 pm I could barely have my eyes open :/

What Girls Said 2

• Keep melatonin on hand for nights you need to sleep. It helps.

• You will regret it.

What Guys Said 4

• coz u might fall asleep during da exam obviously...

• Generally so, although in the end fear is the greatest motivator.

• It's your brain!

• If you don't sleep, your neurons won't fire properly. Google the effects, dog